My first brew and blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
Hey All,

If you find the time, check out the blog I started following my adventures in learning to home brew. I welcome your comments, suggestions and even insults!

I've found these forums to be very helpful and will give shout outs and backlinks for the support.

www.shredshomebrew.com (start at the first post and let me know everything I've screwed up so far) :)

Hey All,

If you find the time, check out the blog I started following my adventures in learning to home brew. I welcome your comments, suggestions and even insults!

I've found these forums to be very helpful and will give shout outs and backlinks for the support.

www.shredshomebrew.com (start at the first post and let me know everything I've screwed up so far) :)

You are on the blog for this topic ! No need to divert to other connections. In fact, that would be starting over from a developed database and support personnel. :confused:

The "My Adventures in Home Beer Brewing" blog is back up and operational.

Good job Shred !

Thanks! My next post will cover the nightmare of cleaning moldy bottles I got from the redemption center.

Haha! I don't actually expect to make any money at it, but if I do I can call all my supplies a tax write-off :)

I've made a moderate side-income selling software downloads online for a decade now, but I'm pretty separated from the marketing these days (I have a marking company that handles it). I wouldn't even know where to begin in order to drive enough traffic to the blog that any significant income is generated through the affiliate links.

Looks good! As for the hydrometer, you won't get an accurate reading at this point. The yeast should have already started creating CO2 and converting sugars into alcohol. You could take the ingredient list and enter it into BeerSmith or Brew Target and see what it comes up with for an estimated OG.

Good idea, never used BeerSmith before. Co2 is very present as you can see in this video I took, looks like a good healthy fermentation taking place

How did your beer taste in the end? have you bottled it yet?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - that's definitely fermenting. That first beer turned out really nice. My carbonation was a bit inconsistent, but I blame that on my impatience (I should have allowed it to age longer). The bottles that were properly carbed had a head that you could literally float a cap on and great lacing.

My all-custom Irish Mocha Stout and Raspberry Wheat Champagne Ale are in bottles now and I've got an IPA in primary (I'm behind on blog updates).

Irish mocha stout?sounds deadly, hoping to start a mead attempt next, hopefully it turns out ok, will post all details on the blog when I get into it.
Hope the ipa goes well, prob my next brew in the 5gl bin
best of luck with them both :)

Thanks! I've got some catching up to do on it in the near future.

Latest posts

Back