What type of sugar should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilju

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to start my first cider, when some of my supplies arrive in the mail. I'm looking for some information on how much sugar to add to what I intend on using.

For the ingredients here is what I have so far:
  • Apple Juice (No preservatives) - 5 Gallons
  • Yeast - Lavlin EC-1118
  • Yeast Nutrient - Diammonium Phosphate
  • Sugar - Assorted amounts of Brown, White, and Pure Cane Sugar
  • Fining Agent - Super Kleer KC Finings

I intend to use all of the above, but I do welcome any advice on how it will turn out using the yeast, nutrient, and finings I have selected. What I really want to know is what types of the above sugars I should use, and how much of each in a 5 gallon batch. I've heard to use brown sugar, cane sugar, corn sugar, no sugar, and honey. I've also heard to use many different combinations of the above. What different combinations have you used, and how did they turn out?

No opinions on this at all? I know the champagne yeast eats a lot of sugar, and will make it pretty dry. I just don't have any experience using it, so I don't know how much sugar is appropriate. I'd also like to back sweeten and carbonate. I would appreciate any advice on that as well.

My opinion? None, nada, zip, unless your juice is super low OG by itself. Even then, skip the sugar and add apple juice concentrate for better body. I find that when sugar of any non-native form makes up more than 5%-10% of a product then the body suffers noticeably. Fermented sugar wash (sucrose) does not taste remotely like a fruit based ferment (glucose & sucrose plus much more). Instead, you get more thin texture and boozy heat from the cider instead of a smooth subtle beverage.

I don't even use sugar for priming but use AJC instead, one can of my local brand adds just the right amount luckily. Trying to transition to making my own frozen concentrate from the original blend for my next batch though.

I started using 1lb of cane sugar per gallon but now use 1/4lb of sugar per gallon of juice or sometimes none at all. I found i liked the finished product better with the lower sugar which is the reason i made the change.

1.050-1.060 is my target. Delicious and packs a punch. There is a thread going on now about average OG around the US if you want a bigger sample size.

Back