Clear Cider with Brown Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slanderkin

Reaction score
I was doing some experiments with different sugar types to back sweeten cider and I found I really liked how brown sugar tasted. I added some to a batch of cider I was moving to secondary and as you would expect it really muddied the color of my previously clear cider. My cider is still pretty clear (you can see some stuff through it) but pretty dark tinted.

Is there anyway to get the cider to be clearer and not to darkly tinted or is this just one of consequences of using brown sugar? If not is there a way to keep the brown sugar flavor mostly there while scaling back how much you use to keep the color lighter?

Brown sugar is just white table sugar mixed with molasses, so the color chge that you got comes from the molasses on the sugar.
I don't believe that there would be much of a way to get molasses flavors with out molasses.

Try a little vanila extract. Just an ounce or two in 5 gallons and f4ozen apple juice concentrate. The vanilla gives you a similar flavor and the FAJC bringsc tye sweetness.

Latest posts

Back