I used to like Anchor Steam…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
So I’ve been planning my next big step – a partigyle barleywine and something else; something smaller to make from the second runnings. After looking at a ton of recipes, I found a barleywine with a grainbill very similar to a California Common (except for total amount of course). And I remembered liking Anchor Steam, but haven’t had it recently. So while I was calculating a bunch of percentages, amounts, gravities etcetera, I did my due diligence and bought a sixpack.

I read Jamil, who talked about the essential contribution of Northern Brewer hops, which he described as minty and woody. When I tasted the beer, with that in mind, I was not happy. It tasted like mint-infused bitter beer – not at all what I remembered. Maybe I read too much. Maybe I’m too easily influenced by the power of suggestion. Maybe I should go ahead and make the recipe, but sub in something I do like, such as Czech Saaz.

BTW, the barleywine will probably lean on Centennial and Cascade.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or commiseration?

Back