airlock suck up, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7845

Reaction score
Had to move my cider after three weeks...... when i was gently moving it i watched 3 week old vodka go right into my cider :( i cursed, then wondered..... is my cider ruined and or tainted?, this really upsets me. If not tainted, are there some techniques i can follow to moved batches with airlocks w/o suck up into product?

George :confused:

nothing nasty is gonna be in the vodka that could infect it and the ratio of vodka to cider is miniscule

Ha. You asked a question that I anticipate asking in a while.

I just jumped into this thing, not realizing I'll be bottling the wine via a siphon. I put the carboy in an out of the way place - under the big fish tank.

So now, be fore bottling, I'm going to have to move it to a table or something, then let it all settle down again.

Any idea how long that'll take? The resettling of the yeast? I guess it's a function of how shaken it gets.

Any idea how long that'll take? The resettling of the yeast?

Couple hours, maybe.

Unless there is significant micro settling that should happen, I get clarity usually within 30 min and have bottled within 2 hours. (Though more often I go for over-cautious and wait 24 hours.)

I did a wine this week and actually racked again the day before bottling it was super clear.
As for the vodka, that is exactly why some use vodka, in case it get's sucked in. Some also use a light sanitizing solution and some use plain water.
I just started using vodka (and sometimes rum as that is all I usually have on hand) I have had water get sucked back once or twice. This is a huge issue with the better bottles, not so much with glass. I now remove my airlock before moving the carboy if it contains water.

But please in the future save yourself some effort and keep you carboy elevated UNLESS you need it on the floor for cooler temps.

yeah it is a better bottle, and every time you squeeze it or touch it ai\rlock goes nuts

Back