Hmm what to build!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhhobbies

Reaction score
I have been wanting to make the jump to all grain and have been reading and learning for so long, my head kinda hurts now :) There are so many ways to skin a cat. I do know that I have to stay all electric. I was thinking of just getting a Braumester 50l but now im leaning more towards my own setup. I would like to do about 10gal batches to fill two Corneys with one batch. I had my eyes on the Bayou pots, should I go with 3 62qt or 3 82qt...... perhaps two 62qt and the boil pot 82qt?

I guess your pot size depends on whether you're planning to use a single vessel system, like the Braumeister, or a multiple vessel system? I'd probably go with the 82 qt. over the 62 qt. if I were making 10 gallon batches in a single vessel.

I don't blame you for wanting to make your own setup. The Braumeister seems nice, but it's quite expensive. Plus, building your own system sounds like a fun project.

Yeah keep it in the homebrew diy mode or you'll start asking why you stopped just buying beer in the first place.

if you're going three vessel I would buy 2 62's and 1 82 for the boil. a 15 gallon mash tun should be more than enough to make 10 gallon batch. well maybe except for gravities over 1.100.

if you're going two vessel system one 62 and one 82 would work.

if one vessel I would go 82

I think I'll go with a 3 pot "standard" design perhaps with herms and pid to control hlt and boil pot, just not 100% sure on pot sizes yet but I want to fill two kegs per batch and be able to do the odd big beer at times.

6-7%? I thought you said you wanted to do big beers :)

Either way, you can always do a smaller batch of your high gravity beer.

The deadspace under the false bottom might alter your numbers slightly, but I think you'll be fine, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/.

Plus, you can always brew a smaller batch of any big beers.

For your bk, 62 will work fine, 82 just gives you more room. For a 10 gallon batch you probably boil 12-13 gallons, that leaves 3.5 and 2.5 gallons of headspace respectively.

Ok here is another option.... I do have a keg I can cut and make into a MT, I was going to avoid this because I didnt want to go through the trouble but I think I might. I think I may be able to source one more but the gut wants $75 for it.... still cheaper then the Bayou I guess though, then I would just have to buy the BK. If I went with the keg, what would be a good false bottom setup to get be? Does anyone offer an easy drop in unit plumbing and all?

OK I think I will go two kegs for BK and MT with a 15" Jaybird FB. I like when a plan comes together :ban:

Latest posts

Back