First batch sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossrainey

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch about 9 days ago. It was a AHS kit and was recommended to stay in the primary for 2 weeks before bottling so it has got some time till it should be bottled. Anyway, I decided to take a gravity reading to see where I was today. It is at 1.020 and started at 1.058. That's a little high on both readings according to the kit specs (1.050 and 1.012). I'm not worried about the gravity but cause I can keep it in the primary for a week or two more, but I am worried about a sour taste. I tried a little bit of the wort I placed in the testing tube and it has a pretty sour taste. The smell is not sour, probably due to the spices. Either way, just wondering if this is a bad sign or something that time will settle out.

You won't know until its been bottled, has conditioned, has carbonated, and is ready to drink. You should keep your eye on your final gravities though. In this case, even if it quits at 1.020, you'll be ok - but in the future if it doesn't drop enough, you can get bottle bombs. So until this batch is ready to drink, don't worry about it...:mug:

Don't worry about "clarfying" anything until, like Soulive said, you've bottled it and let it condition for 3 weeks....More than likely what you think is sour is just green, and once it's finished it won't even be there...Your beer is going to go through so many "chemical" processes over the next few weeks...It's not going to taste anything like it does now.

Unless you didn't sanitize at all, and your pet monkey pooped in your fermenter, more than likely you are just exhibiting new brewer nerves.....

Relax!

Latest posts

Back