Simcoe/Chinook/Centennial combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjacokes

Reaction score
I'm drafting up an American barleywine recipe and am aiming for some woody/earthy/piney flavors and aromas. I was thinking of using the same blend of hops across each addition, a la DFH90. So:
--2 parts Simcoe + 1 part Centennial + 1 part Chinook at 90min
--ditto at either 20min or FWH
--ditto at flameout
for IBUs in the 100-110 range.

I've heard of people having luck with these three hops, but I haven't quite seen them spread equally across the recipe like this. I know it will probably taste good, but I'm wondering if the flavors will get muddled together - if so I'd rather shuffle the additions, or even just keep it simple by sticking with one or two hops. But my gut feeling is that I want some components from each of these varities.

Thoughts?

I've used each one, but never together so I don't have a real good answer for you. I can imagine them working very well together. I hear that Simcoe can be very dominant though, but I haven't used it enough to experience that first hand. I like the way you have it setup, seems kind of unique to me. Maybe you could brew a small batch of smaller beer with a similar hop schedule and see if you like it. Then you won't have all that time wrapped up into a BW that you don't like. :mug:

I get more pineapple out of the Simcoe, and citrusy - Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit out of the Centennial. The combo will work, but I don't think you're going to get woody or earthy out of it.

I dont think you could go wrong with some Amarillo. I always feel as though that gives some earthyness.

I have always used it in conjunction with other hops but from my understanding its along that line.

EDIT- I meant Fuggle not Amarillo. I was looking at my upcoming recipe and had Amarillo stuck in my head :)

Yeah, I guess experimenting would be the most thorough way to test this out, but I'm impatient :) I can also believe that this might end up too citrusy...

Maybe with my target profile I should be looking at something more like the "Water into Barleywine" hop schedule (below). From what I've heard Northern Brewer has the kind of profile I'm looking for, but I've never used it myself. Is there anyone who has tried that beer and could shed some light on what the hops contributed? Think I could throw some Simcoe into that mix to satisfy my Simcoe addiction?

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Back