Foam on wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockersbrew

Reaction score
This is my first brew which is made from a kit (brewferm) brew day was yesterday and already there is a large head of foam sitting on the wort. I think I read previously that you should skim the foam off... Am I correct in this? Thanks guys..

image-555922470.jpg

If this is a picture of your fermenter then do nothing except wait. That is krausen layer which means it is fermenting.

No,leave it. It's krausen,or yeast foam. It'll settle after initial,vigorous fermentation settles down to a crawl to FG. Looks like you have some hops on top of the krausen?

No,leave it. It's krausen,or yeast foam. It'll settle after initial,vigorous fermentation settles down to a crawl to FG. Looks like you have some hops on top of the krausen?

I have only done one starter kit and I am still in the midst of it but if my eyes dont deceive me I would have to say that is foam from pouring your wort into the bucket or carboy and you have sprinkled your yeast over it. that's what I did and it looked like that right there. worked fine I saw fermentation withing 24 hours.

+1. Or 'barm'.

The brown stuff on top of the krausen is probably fine sediment from dark grains.

It's fine, that's what a fermenting beer is SUPPOSED to look like.

Leave it alone. What you have on top is called krausen, and it looks different on every beer, and is usually ugly...and perfectly normal.

Skimming is one of those oldschool ideas that came from a time when brewers were scared of their yeast. They believed that prolonged yeast contact was a bad thing- it contributed to things like the big homebrew Bogeyman, autolysis.

Those ideas are 40 years out of date.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Leaving the yeast alone, and letting the krausen fall through will act like a filter as it sinks, pulling down any proteins and other off flavor causes.

That's why also many of us leave out beers on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks, and skip secondaries. To let the yeast do their thing.

Like so much of brewing you will find people believing and practicing things they read in books, while others are brewing based on information that is more current. This is an ever evolving hobby, and information and ideas change. And now with places like this with a huuge amount of dedicated and serious brewers, as well as all the podcasts online, you will find the most state of the art brewing info.

Things have changed, we're not so afraid of so called "off flavors" by things that are part of the natural process of the beer production, touching the beer-yeast, trub, spent hops, break matter. Yeast are fastidious creatures, if left to their own devices they will go back and clean up any byproducts that cause off flavors. In fact you find a lot of things that used to freak people out just have proven to be less true. And some processes that were de-riguer back in the day, such as skimming off krausen aren't all that common any more.

Thanks for this post and all the info. I made my first 5 gallon batch this week & was worried I'd messed up. It looks like I'm good.

When I brewed this weekend I poured my cooled wort into my primary fermentation bucket and there was a huge layer of foam that rose on top. From research on this forum I found out that it is just a good sign of aeration. I pitched my yeast on top of it and worried because at 24 hours my airlock wasn't bubbling. I shook it up to try and stir the yeast and get whatever was left on top into my wort and at 38 hours I started bubbling. Now it's slowly getting faster so hopefully within the next day or so it'll rocket off. Don't worry, should be a good beer. :tank:

Back