How to Make A Dry Type Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
So I have been trying my hands and homebrew for a while now. I have got my first 30 gallons or so under my belt, and now I want to change it up a bit. I have made mostly all sweet type wines. I now want to make something more closely to a merlot or cab type wine and make something more dry. I know that wine kits come with a lot of different things to add at different times. Is there something I will need to add to the wine to assist more in that "dry" type finish, or can this be achieved by adding more sugar and letting it ferment longer ?

Less sugar or longer fermenting time.

Actually, all wines will go dry if you let them. Yeast keeps going until it a)runs out of food or b)dies from excessive alcohol.

The key to pulling off a good wine, dry or otherwise, is always use the best quality product in hopes of a good quality end product & crafting your recipe before you start. Have a plan and build on that plan if need be. You also have to make sure you have an appropriate TA, use of tannins if/when you need to boost them, the right ACV, the ideal yeast & time time time. It is simple to have an original gravity too high for the yeast you want to pair with it and actually end up with a natural residual sugar...so not every batch will ferment to dry as you planned if you overshoot the gravity vs yeast threshold/alcohol tolerance.

Kits definitely take the guess work out of it & are balanced so you get the style of wine you are seeking plus they contain all the ingredients needed from start to finish. You only need supply cleanser/sanitizer for your tools. The kit will indicate dry, off dry, etc and will also indicate the ACV if you make the kit as instructed.
Pails of juice/grapes typically need adjustment, though adjusted pails do exist, like Mosti Mondiale's Chile Fresco pails. I know those pails are now in pre-order mode with delivery in late April/early May. I am getting ready to order a Chile Fresco pail, maybe Sauvignon Blanc or Cabernet Sauvignon, or both!

Back