I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I just finished watching Lincoln. AWESOME movie. I decided when I saw the previews that I wouldn't watch that movie in the theater because I really wanted to pay attention to it. Thankfully, my uncle came through with a professional copy. ;)

No reason to start a new thread just because of my fleeting thoughts. So I'll post here. (I hope that did not come across as disrespectful; not my intention whatsoever. Especially not in this good crowd.)

I opted for a premium membership a few years ago.. Which is is 25 bucks or something. Then I thought about going Lifetime, came close to doing it.

Probably the only reason I didn't at the time was because it seemed like a lot of money to spend when I could be spending that money on things I needed.

Then, much later I started thinking about how cheap it would be to get 20 years of membership for around 6 bucks a year. And then I thought. I love this sight. $25 dollars over the course of a year is pretty cheap and somebody has to keep this place rolling, keep up with the cost of inflation. I thought of TxBrew.

It's his site, possibly that lifetime membership price was good when this place first started but now I'd imagine prices go up, there are upgrades and such. I'm happy, very happy with this site. Okay sometimes there are glitches but that happens. Technology is moving faster than the sunset and I think this site, this place does a nice job keeping the camera focused and following it.

Anyway, I opted out of going with the life time membership. I like this place to much to go cheap.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure I'm wrong in some ways but that's me.
I'd imagine typical active membership is less then 3 years. So $25 a years x 3 years = $75. Lifetime is $125. Therefore, the site would typically intake more money from a member who opts for the lifetime membership, during there active membership, then from one who pays a yearly fee. That would be a "typical" member, so of course there will be exceptions.

Honestly, it just seems like good business to me. Very long time member tend to be very helpful to new members, that helps expand the forum base and grow the paying subscriber base. If a member uses the lifetime membership then they are helping to grow the subscriber base. If they don't, then they have probably paid more with that annual membership they they were ever likely to on an annual basis.

Hat's off TxBrew. Good for business, and good for your subscribers.
We caught 2 alligators last spring and ate them. Since one of them ate my sister's cat, does that mean we indirectly ate her cat? The possum is still living under the house, terrorizing my dog, so I will get back to trapping soon.
If you've ever had Chinese food there is no indirectly about it. :p
chinese%20food%20cat.jpg

I'm in a screwed up mood tonight, how about some screwed up music. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Leadgolem. I remember last year when Tx talked about possibly getting rid of lifetime memberships (right around when I sprung for mine). At the time, I considered whether I really thought I was going to be active on this forum 5 years from now. I decided that I probably won't be, but that paying that "extra" money was worth what I get out of the forum now.

Now if I am still active 4 years from now, then I suppose I beat the system, but that wasn't really my intention.

How much of my life to spend on HBT is a big question. I use it a lot now, but like Facebook I could easily disappear to never return. If I had a figure for how much time I've spent on here I would probably hurl my phone away in disgust. I want to read more books, the ones that don't glow.

Anybody here like spam musabi? Slice of spam and a thick layer of sticky rice wrapped in a ribbon of "seaweed" When I make it usually it is wrapped entirely in kiri.
images

Spam musabi
images

Or a bowl of Portuguese bean soup? Broth is made out of smoked hamhocks, some onions a bayleaf or two. I add some stewed tomatoes, carrots, onions and diced potatoes. But that isn't a rule. Portuguese sausage is added towards the end. Something like chorizo but not. Not even sure it is real portuguese sausage but go to any local store in Hawaii and look for Redondos and that's what you need. I've had decent luck in the mainland with smoked sausage.

images

Or pork lau lua. Smoked pork wrapped in Lau Lua leaves. It's a bit salty but taste pretty good.

images

My wife, I think made it once with kalua pig and and the lau lau leaves.. or some thing like that. It was pretty good and not as salty. Actually it was very delicious and I didn't drink water all night long afterwards.

You wouldn't believe it but somehow Hawaii picked up on some of the best food across the world. The locals make some killer foods. Both in taste and it will probably kill you if that is all you eat.

Corned beef hash. Corned beef. Spam, luncheon meat out of a big can. I think it was back during WWII, Hawaii's fresh meat supply was cut off. A lot of their meat was canned... Vienna sausage is one delicacy that is well loved by many of the Hawaii locals but one I've never been able to eat. Texture thing with me. Kind of akin to sardines in my mind. Or worse.

There is a nice hotel at the end of Waikiki. I should know the name, it's not deep in the city side. I'd give directions but my N-S-E-W gets totally screwed up when it come to Hawaii. I'll just say it's right across the road from Kapiolani park not far from the Honolul zoo, and within a few blocks walk (in the opposite direction of main downtown Waikiki) of the King Kamehameha statue

I just remembered. It is not the New Oana, the hotel is called the New Otani. The trees on the dining patio are over a hundred years old. And it is beautiful. When I got station back to Hawaii a few years back my wife and I stayed there for a few days. The first night after a long very emotional trip. Leaving our home in California, where we could have stayed but didn't. I bought a bottle of cognact a cigar. We sat on the white beach and listened to the ocean, drank some cognac and depressurised. the next day or two my wifes mom came to the hotel and we had breakfast o on the patttio.
Hawaii_Oahu_Waikiki_Beach_The_New_Otani_Kaimana_Beach_Hau_Tree_Lanai_Restaurant4_1_c90ade40b3022bf725eef215b95858f7_600x400.JPG

Just sharing a bit. We all have memories. These are some of my better ones.

:mug:

The food all looks delicious, not sure on the spam roll though, maybe with some fresh raw salmon instead of the spam. I tried vienna sausage once, just got chills thinking about it. This morning I had corned beef from a can though, mixed with grits. I call it gruel.

The food all looks delicious, not sure on the spam roll though, maybe with some fresh raw salmon instead of the spam. I tried vienna sausage once, just got chills thinking about it. This morning I had corned beef from a can though, mixed with grits. I call it gruel.

Oh yes and then scramble a egg into it. Heavenly:D

Breakfast for me this morning is going to be pizza.

Just finished watching every "Lost" episode on Netflix...man, that was an awesome ride! Never watched it on cable because, well, I'm not exactly sure. Going to need a few weeks to absorb it all before watching something else, except for "The Walking Dead" on Sunday. BTW, reading about your experiences diving and going to Hawaii makes me homesick for my two favorite places, Oahu (stationed 6 years) and Okinawa (3 years). Good times...good times...

Every episode of "Lost"? Wow, must have taken forever. Loved that show.

Was getting all set to brew this morning and it started raining. Looked at weather forecast and rain all day. Last time I tried to brew indoors I started a fire so not going there again. :mad:

Every episode of "Lost"? Wow, must have taken forever. Loved that show.

Was getting all set to brew this morning and it started raining. Looked at weather forecast and rain all day. Last time I tried to brew indoors I started a fire so not going there again. :mad:

What did you find out about your beer Bobbi. Vinegar just does not seem right to me

What did you find out about your beer Bobbi. Vinegar just does not seem right to me

Still not sure. Air got to it, something wasn't sanitary enough, something got in it. It wasn't like an off-flavor, it tasted like pure vinegar. Like run to the sink, spit it out, then rinse my mouth with water, then brush my teeth. Whatever it was, it dissolved or ate the yeast cake.

Still not sure. Air got to it, something wasn't sanitary enough, something got in it. It wasn't like an off-flavor, it tasted like pure vinegar. Like run to the sink, spit it out, then rinse my mouth with water, then brush my teeth. Whatever it was, it dissolved or ate the yeast cake.

Weird. I have had lots of off flavors but never vinegar. I will do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Can you brew in a shed or something for today. Sigh I really need to bottle some soon. Maybe tonight:D

Weird. I have had lots of off flavors but never vinegar. I will do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Can you brew in a shed or something for today. Sigh I really need to bottle some soon. Maybe tonight:D

The rain stopped now, but I guess I could drag everything to the shed or just on the porch. Yeah, the porch. I did trying searching, but could only find vinegar off flavors and nothing about what would dissolve the yeast. It had a very active fermentation in the beginning, that's what blew the airlock and there was a yeast cake forming in it. I know it fermented.

Added: I think beer+oxygen+fruit flies= vinegar

The rain stopped now, but I guess I could drag everything to the shed or just on the porch. Yeah, the porch. I did trying searching, but could only find vinegar off flavors and nothing about what would dissolve the yeast. It had a very active fermentation in the beginning, that's what blew the airlock and there was a yeast cake forming in it. I know it fermented.

I cannot even think of anything that would eat the yeast cake. That just seems weird unless your bees got to it and ate it.

Nope just figured it out. The possum is messing with your head:ban:

Not good Bobbi

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/sour-vinegar-taste-stout-270850/

And to top it off a huge cleaning is in order to keep future batches safe

Even there he is just talking about a vinegar taste, and nothing about the yeast cake being dissolved/eaten. I was reading on how to make vinegar and I think I accidentally followed the instructions. I put a big v on that fermenter and I might use it to try and make more malt vinegar. Stuff goes for $20 for 12 ounces.

If you can stomach it (I think I harmed a few members here with it) there is a tasting video on page 9. The short answer is... it was a terrible idea.

If you can stomach it (I think I harmed a few members here with it) there is a tasting video on page 9. The short answer is... it was a terrible idea.

While I admire your adventurous spirit I am going to have to say I would not have tried it.

So the burning question in every ones mind would have to be what is next. Not sure you can top okra:rockin:

I'm really looking forward to that AB. Also some of the totally normal stuff. My wife will let you know the ones she thinks pass muster :).

Wait... those baby things dont come with an on/off switch?!

The power is out in the shop this morning.. We were already running behind, and this isn't helping. Dark machine shops suck

My daughter had colic bad and I think would have used a baseball bat at times. Amazing how constant crying can turn a loving dad into a frazzled angry demon.

I sure hope they have got something to help those babies with colic now and if not for the babies then something for the parents.

they use to give opium to childs in ancient Rome... when are we going to find something like that? Kidding:D I don´t have kids yet, I think I´m not ready or I´m still too selfish to have them

I though he said it was lack of drinking water issue. Subsailor might be able to clarify.

I just got to work.

When I started Submarines, we were allowed facial hair, on shore or at sea. There was a maximum length and bulk. At sea, it was a little more relaxed, if we kept a neat rim line from one ear to the other under our chin to allow for a proper seal of our EAB, Emergency Air Breathering masks. We had air manifolds spaced though each passageway and in most spaces that you could plug your 6ft hose into. The reason for the masks was in case of Fire (smoke), Toxic Gas (hot run torpedo, salt water in battery well) or other forms of disaster that would make breathing difficult to say the least. The masks all had a regulator at the belt clip and were effective up to 12ft under water. Many of us 'old timers' would obtain an EAB Manifold plug with attachment chain to use as a countdown timer until we got out or transferred.
In 1987, they made it mandatory to be clean shaven; a mustache was allowed but the specs were tighter.

Airborneguy said:
Is it safe to say that flashlights don't provide enough light when work involves sticking your hands into 10,000lb sq.in. presses?

These guys would have us doing it if the presses had juice.

On the machine line I ran, the lights would typically go out but all the machines would continue to run. We still generally had to shut down due to lack of ambient light to operate, but occasionally there would be enough coming in the windows and emergency backup lighting to keep operating.

Back