Beer Cellar temps ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIC0

Reaction score
Ok, my basement workshop is slowly becoming a brewery...:D

Average temp is around 68 or less. The current batch of Red ale fermenting is showing 64\65 degrees by the thermometor strip on the side of the bucket.

I'm thinking the room might be a little too cold for fermenting and carbonating beer.

Thoughts???????

sounds about perfect for ale. If it gets a bit colder, insulate an area around your fermenter, add a lightbulb, and you're all set.

Usually lock in my ale ferment temp at 64 in my temp controlled ferm chamber

A 64-65F reading on the temp strip is perfectly fine and in most cases is ideal. I would make changes if the temp get below 60F. I've found it is always better to ferment a bit colder than the "optimal" fermentation temp for the yeast.

For carbing bottles, yes you will need some place warmer! Usually 72F+

A 64-65F reading on the temp strip is perfectly fine and in most cases is ideal. I would make changes if the temp get below 60F. I've found it is always better to ferment a bit colder than the "optimal" fermentation temp for the yeast.

Yes, fermenting at 64-65 is ideal for almost all ales.

Sometimes, I want a more lager-like finish, and I'll ferment at 59-60 degrees with a yeast strain that can do well at lower temperatures. But for the most part, I ferment at 64. The room temperature is cooler, of course.

This was probably more of the question I wanted answered to be honest.

I think my beer cellar is idea for most things with fermenting but the bottling aspect concerns me. The bottles are also in the same room and odds are the temp in this room will go down as winter gets here.

I've got a batch of coffee porter that was fermented for 2 weeks, then bottled and sat for another 2 weeks. Sunday I opened the first bottle. Yeah it's carbed but is lacking the flavor I want and not much head.

Since then I have shakin the bottles to redistribute the sediment and maybe get a little more pressure built up but maybe i'm not being patiant and the bottles need to carb up longer?? I'm not opening another for another 2 weeks.

So the bottom line is should bottles be stored at a higher temp to carbonate properly??

To carb quicker they must be warmer, yes. This is mainly because the yeast are more active and since they are usually worn out from the fermentation, they could use the help.

I suspect you'd want to move the beers you wish to carbonate out of the basement and into the house. By then, the flavor characteristics have been mostly met--you're just trying to create an environment for the yeast to eat through the priming sugar, which happens more effectively (i.e. quicker) at room temperature (say 70+F).

If the basement stays 60+F, the bottles should still carbonate...but it will take considerably longer. Under 60*F, with most ale yeasts, you might be waiting until spring.

Thanks guys.

The bottled beer has been moved upstairs but i doubt any place in the house will get over 70 until April or may of next year...:(

My imperial stout is calling for temps at 68 minimum when racked to secondary. I'll figure something out with it as I know it will be 5-6 months before it's ready to drink in optimum temps.

For what it's worth my porter bubbled for 2-3 days thru the air lock.

The american ale bubled for 7-8 days thru the air lock.

I don't take a FG reading until a full 2 weeks after sitting in the primary.

UPDATE

Ok for what it's worth for those in the same position as me I found the secret heat source......:cool:

I took my kids digital thermometer which we use to check for fevers and walked around checking temps in the house and basement in all rooms.

My utility room which has my hot water heater, water softer and furnace is reading 71.5.....:rockin:

It's on like a pot a neck bones.......:mug:

I was going to suggest the furnace room to you! Its where I move my Belgians to ramp them up to the 70s to finish. Also a great location for bottle carbing as you found out...

Latest posts

Back