Cant get a break on brewdays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

count_dookie

Reaction score
has anyone ever had a brewday that went as planned?

A few days ago I was brewing my second all grain beer and everything was going beautifully: got my grind on my mill figured out, hit my mash temps and held them the whole time, checked my preboil gravity and it was right on, no boil over. I mean this day was going smoothly, until my neighbor came over to drop something off my mom ordered. I ran it inside so it wouldnt melt and came back to my kettle, still everything going good.

About a minute later and 20 mins left in the boil the neighbor comes back around and says she's hit the thing. I think oh ok another person has hit the transformer in the yard next to the driveway, no big deal. I leave the kettle to what I assumed was going to be a bumper cover sitting on the ground that I was going to have to pop back in. But no there was a 5 inch bolt sticking out and this was what she hit, driving it into the actual metal bumper and she was stuck on the transformer box. At this point the box is leaking a clear fluid, fearing acid I ran in and grabbed some pH papers to check in and in the process tell SWMBO I needed help. I'm glad she has helped me make beer before cause I had to leave her to finish the beer without me. I head back out to the trapped car and the neighbor is on the phone with the power company and I check the fluid, pH of 7 so no big deal. Then it was time to try and free the car, I had her try driving backing up and driving forward but all it was doing was shifting the box. Next option huge crow bar but couldnt get any leverage on the plastic bumper cover. Now its getting near the end of the boil and I'm fed up with this, I ask if I can try driving. I stood on the break and revved up the RPMs cut the wheel hard to the left and gave it everything that little car had. Chip of the tires and a loud pop later I had freed the car. I then popped the bumper cover back on, backed her car into the street.

Back to the beer, time was going off as I come back and I see SWMBO turning off the propane, I check to make sure everything got into the beer and it did. She didnt even forget the yeast nutrient or irish moss, I got to cool the beer off as I waited on the power company to come out to check the transformer.

Ever feel like there is a force of nature trying to keep you away from your beer while you are making it?

I love that you used your pH strips on the mysterious fluid.

I was having flashbacks to the 1st "Alien" movie,the part where you learn it's blood is molecular acid. A meltdown & burn down at the same time. Which to save??? SAVE THE BEER!!! QUICK!! Bottles & fermenters 1st!:D

oh I forgot to add after the beer was cooled I was talking to the first power guy that came out to check it out. The mysterious fluid was a coolant oil. Couple hours later a couple more guys showed up to change out the box.

They got a new box out the same day, I guess when it would cut into their money they are pretty quick to fix things

has anyone ever had a brewday that went as planned?

one, once, long ago. no one was home. wife had the kids they were out for the day, no friends or neighbors to be found. just me, some grain, 15 gallons of water and my brew rig. it was a beautiful thing.

LakewoodBrew said:
one, once, long ago. no one was home. wife had the kids they were out for the day, no friends or neighbors to be found. just me, some grain, 15 gallons of water and my brew rig. it was a beautiful thing.

yes..'tis a beautiful thing...more beautiful than an angel spread upon a bed of roses...white doves softly fluttering about...the smell of baby's breath wafting through the air.... ..... ... ....uh...

Back