KAB5 news; pretty interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I was checking around trying to find a retailer to purchase the new and improved(?) KAB jet burner. I called weliveoutside.com and spoke to a gentleman who advised me to not get the new burner because it doesn't act like the KAB4 did. He basically said that it's much tamer as they changed from a 30PSI to 20 PSI regulators. He also mentione that because of the wind guard it sometimes caused theflames to escape through the bottom instead of out the top and around the sides of the pot like it does with the KAB4. So anyway, I thought I'd pass this on, I ended up going with a smaller SS burner at about 55K BTU's. I figure that's what I have now and it works fine so why not continue.

41D3QWZ82SL._AA280_.jpg

This one...and it's 55K BTU's not 125 as I previously stated. I have one now that kicks out about this much and it brings my wort to boil in about 20 minutes so it's fine.

Dan

Thanks for the info on this, I'm "shopping" for a burner and the KAB5 was on the short list. I'll take a look at the other ones that are available.

fritz_monroe said:
Thanks for the info on this, I'm "shopping" for a burner and the KAB5 was on the short list. I'll take a look at the other ones that are available.
Keep in mind this was this one guys opinion...but he said he tested it out and it wasn't the same. I was really put off by the "flames coming out the bottom" part because I didn't want a scorched garage or anything. I just received the burner I posted..it's very big 16"X16" so it's much more stable than my previous burner. It doesn't put out as much heat as a lot of other burners, but it will do fine for 5 gal batches.

Dan

Willsellout said:
Keep in mind this was this one guys opinion...but he said he tested it out and it wasn't the same. I was really put off by the "flames coming out the bottom" part because I didn't want a scorched garage or anything. I just received the burner I posted..it's very big 16"X16" so it's much more stable than my previous burner. It doesn't put out as much heat as a lot of other burners, but it will do fine for 5 gal batches.

Dan

Yeah, that and the discouraging word from this site had me thinking the kab5 might be worse:

Note: This burner is not the same as the previous model, KAB4. It uses a lower pressure regulator and will not bring large pots of water to a boil in a reasonable amount of time. The SP1 Jet Burner is best suited for that purpose. This burner is best suited for cooking Jambalaya, etc. It is not intended for use in boiling large pots of seafood.

May I inquire as to the make and model of that square unit? I mean, it looks nice and all.. but Google image search isn't quite that good yet. ;) Thanks.

Thalon said:
May I inquire as to the make and model of that square unit? I mean, it looks nice and all.. but Google image search isn't quite that good yet. ;) Thanks.
It's this one
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Single-Burner/dp/B000BRPFSO/ref=pd_bbs_7/104-7194986-9033513?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1182312130&sr=8-7

From what little I can tell, it's solidly built, and big enough for a keggle. It's a bit low to the ground so you would have to move your kettle to transfer to a fermenter. Can't tell you about performance yet, but if you are interested I can PM you after this weekends brew.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Willsellout said:
From what little I can tell, it's solidly built, and big enough for a keggle. It's a bit low to the ground so you would have to move your kettle to transfer to a fermenter. Can't tell you about performance yet, but if you are interested I can PM you after this weekends brew.
Dan
I'd be interested. You do 5 gal batches I presume?

Might pick up this... says has the 20psi regulator:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or maybe Karp’s Special King Kooker if they get back to me with a shipping quote.

according to this post: the 20psi regulator with the BG12 burner (which is in all the square Bayous except Banjo) will emit 185k BTU. Works for me.

SPLASTiK said:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or maybe Karp’s Special King Kooker if they get back to me with a shipping quote.

according to this post: the 20psi regulator with the BG12 burner (which is in all the square Bayous except Banjo) will emit 185k BTU. Works for me.
Actually the first link you posted is the one I have. Man they have a few that look exactly alike:D
I will PM you this weekend and let you know how it does with a 5 gal batch.

Dan

SPLASTiK said:

This is the one I have and it works great for me so far. About 20 - 30 minutes to get 5.5 - 6 gallons to a hard rolling boil.

Willsellout said:
41D3QWZ82SL._AA280_.jpg

This one...and it's 55K BTU's not 125 as I previously stated. I have one now that kicks out about this much and it brings my wort to boil in about 20 minutes so it's fine.

Dan
I just bought a simular except its not the ss one and mine is a 150000 btu burner. 55000 sounds low. Maybe the ss ones are less btu.:tank:

FSR402 said:
Just extract at this time :(

But I don't see what the difference it would make. boiling water is boiling water.

Just guessing about the reason for the question here...

You're starting temperature is different. When you sparge AG, you start heating the wort at ~ 160'. So 20-30 mins to bring that volume to a boil is really slow. ;)

I actually start heating my kettle during the sparge. By the time I'm done sparging, it only takes about 5 mins to reach a boil. :D

Lil' Sparky said:
Just guessing about the reason for the question here...

You're starting temperature is different. When you sparge AG, you start heating the wort at ~ 160'. So 20-30 mins to bring that volume to a boil is really slow. ;)

I actually start heating my kettle during the sparge. By the time I'm done sparging, it only takes about 5 mins to reach a boil. :D

Oh I get it. :D I have no idea how long it would take when starting at 140 or higher. But I'm guessing that it would be a lot faster then the 65* from my tap water.

FSR402 said:
Oh I get it. :D I have no idea how long it would take when starting at 140 or higher. But I'm guessing that it would be a lot faster then the 65* from my tap water.
Exactly..I'm doing AG so my starting temp is about 140-160.

Dan

Yeah...uhm... why dont you just get the KAB5 and get the 30PSI reg seperatly??? thats what i was planning on doing? Or am i wrong and that wont work?

Phrasty said:
Yeah...uhm... why dont you just get the KAB5 and get the 30PSI reg seperatly??? thats what i was planning on doing? Or am i wrong and that wont work?

That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I would assume it'd work about the same with a 30PSI regulator, right?

Latest posts

Back