Supercharging a natural gas BG14 burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm working on my new brew rig build and messing with the BG14 burners. I know they don't put out the same heat as the wok/jet burners, but I needed to do some testing to find out what the real output is. My testing was really focusing around changing burner heights to allow better combustion and spent gas escaping to try and find the sweet spot for best efficiency. High pressure propane doesn't have the low velocity problems that NG does and even low pressure propane works much better with these burners. My boils are usually around the 20 gallon mark, so I need to make sure I can adequately get 20 gallons up to boiling in a reasonable amount of time.

For my tests, I heated 10 gallons of water for 30 minutes and measured the temperature at 10 minute increments. No matter what burner is used, temperature gains slow the hotter it gets, but I feel a 30 minute test gets things hot enough to judge the effective heating ability.

As a comparison, I did baseline heat tests with my 6", 10 tip wok/jet burners on my old brew stand. Starting at 80 degrees, my wok/jet burners heated, 31, 31 & 28 degrees in the three 10 minute durations. This gave me an even 90 degree rise in 30 minutes.

When I started testing the BG14 burners at different heights, I was only getting 21 degrees rise every 10 minutes for a total of 63 degrees over the whole 30 minutes. When I was looking at the flames on the BG14 burner, there was definite yellowing going on which tells me that it is running rich and there isn't full combustion happening.

I've done tests a few years back with a BG14 and knew it wouldn't be up to the level of the wok burners, but I was pretty surprised at the test results I had just experienced. Other tests I've done didn't have the wind screens, so I know it wasn't really a lack of venting. Knowing that the wok burners perform so much better (50% better) using the same gas hookup tells me that the wok burners are able to burn much more of the available fuel. That means it all comes down to the AFR (air fuel ratio) and being able to get a leaner/hotter burn. So that got me thinking about how to add additional air to the mix to get a full burn out of the available gas. The answer - supercharge it!

As a proof of concept test, I used the air gun from my air compressor and dialed the output pressure down to about 8-10 PSI. When blowing from the air gun, it was just a good light constant flow, but not heavy duty like when you use the air gun to blow or clean things up (which usually is around 80+ PSI). I zip tied the air gun lever to stay on and pushed it into the venturi opening of the BG14 bell housing. HOLY **** is all I can say! Every tip on the BG14 was burning solid blue at about 1" in height. This baby was putting out serious BTU's now!

So, time to re-do the 10 gallon heat test. The first 10 minute segment gave me a 42 degree rise!!! The second 10 minutes was 38 degrees and the 3rd one was 30 degrees (remember, the hotter it gets, the lower the rise per minute). That was 110 degrees in 30 minutes - compared to the 63 degree rise without air assist. Gas flow was the same between the tests, only the addition of forced air was different. That's a 75% increase in BTU output by just feeding air into the venturi!

So now the question is, how can I add air assist to my brew rig build. The first thought was I'll just add an SS feed tube to the burner and have an air QD at the bottom of the rig. The only problem with this is that my compressor will cycle on several times during the boil and that is very loud and annoying. My reason for going to the BG14's was to get away from the loud wok/jet burners, so I don't want to replace it with an even louder compressor. As a test, I grabbed my Intek 12V mattress inflator. It puts out good pressure and air volume and it worked like a charm too! It was still a little loud, but now I know I can do this with a smaller fan that can be mounted under my rig. I've ordered up a couple of different ones that I'm now going to play with and see what works.

This is still in the proof of concept phase, but I'm pretty sure I'll be adding forced air at least to my BK burner. Since strike and sparge water don't need to get as hot, I'll likely not do the forced air on those burners since the only real savings might be 10 minutes just to get to strike temp.

Anyone ever play with forced air assist on their brew rig? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's a sample of the type of fan I will likely end up using (it puts out 20 CFM):
G20715B.JPG

Here's a couple of pics of the proof of concept tests I was doing:
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4485.JPG

I should have taken pics or videos of the actual burner flames so you could see how dramatic the difference was. I'll do that and post back here when the other fans arrive.

Ugh. Given you used the same gas flow with and without the fan and the efficiency clearly improved with the fan, the implication is you've been swimming in unburned HCs...

Cheers! ;)

Exactly! That was the whole point. I new it was running pig rich, but you can't burn fuel without air, so the only option is to turn down the fuel or turn up the air flow. I chose the latter. ;)

So pretty much everyone out there running BG14s on NG must have this same issue.

I do have to say the videos I've seen of BG14s on NG always left me wondering if what I was seeing was as bad as it looked or if it was just camera issues.
My Blichmanns burn as clean as a conventional stove range on "high pressure" (0-10 psi) propane and as I mostly brew in my shop a clean burn is kind of important.

Automation does have an attraction but I'm even more strongly inclined to go high-pressure and not screw around with an 11" WC system (no - we don't have NG here where deer outnumber humans ;) so that's not even in play)...

Cheers!

Yeah, I'd say most on NG with a BG14 either suffer with poor combustion or, if they have dialed in the mix for a good combustion, then they're suffering from overall low output simply because NG doesn't provide the BTU's at low levels. The reality though is that if you are only doing 5 to 10 gallons, it works sufficiently. If you have no other burner to compare it to, then you also probably don't know that you could be doing things much faster (like the loud wok/jet burners do).

Your Blichmanns burn clean simply because you are on high pressure. The velocity of the gas pulls in more air for a better mix/burn. While I've not personally used low pressure propane (11" WC), that would also be much better than NG because it is flowing at about 50% more pressure than NG providing a better mix/burn and propane packs 2.5 times more BTU's per volume than NG.

I'm married to NG and 20 gallon boils, so I've got to come up with a solution that works for me. Supercharging is the likely answer.

Yeah, I'm excited to continue these tests.

Two of the 3 mini fans I've ordered have arrived. They're all in the 16-20 CFM range and just by bench testing the two, they feel like they will provide sufficient air injection. I'll be out of town next week, but I hope to do the fan/burner tests the following weekend (8/8). Since I'm controlling my rig with a BCS, I'm going to be doing programming where I can run the burner with (hi) and without (lo) air injection so I can vary the output.

I will also post pics of the burner flames with and without the fans. I really should have done that from the first tests because it is un-freaking-believable how much the air injection boosts the output.

I cant wait to see this, I have the banjo burners and I cant seem to get enough air to them for large pots.

OP, what size orifice do you have on your BG 14s? Drilled mine out to 1/8" and they seem fine but I'm all for improving their output

OP, what size orifice do you have on your BG 14s? Drilled mine out to 1/8" and they seem fine but I'm all for improving their output

When you ask about dropping out the orifice, are you talking about where the gas enters the burner or are you talking about the holes that the gas comes out before it burns? Can you explain some more?

1/8" orifice. I have two different style ones from two mfg's and they're both 1/8".

When you ask about dropping out the orifice, are you talking about where the gas enters the burner or are you talking about the holes that the gas comes out before it burns? Can you explain some more?
It's where the gas enters the burner (in the venturi).

I was able to test one of the blowers tonight. I'm still definitely impressed with the potential to get full combustion from the burner. In the video attached, you'll see the flames yellowed, whipping around and licking up the side of the kettle (30G kettle, 20" base). At about the 9 second mark, I plug in the blower and the flames go solid blue. I then unplug it at about the 27 second mark and the flames again go rich. Granted, I wouldn't have the burner turned up quite that high with the flames whipping around so much if I wasn't going to add the forced air. Also clear from this test is that I will need to add a ball valve to the air feed to properly dial in the mixture.

The PVC pipe and general setup here is still just proof-of-concept. When I add the feature to the stand, I'll be plumbing it with a nice SS pipe with an elbow going into the venturi (probably 5/8" or 3/4").

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRbu0H_UwM[/ame]

Air-Burner-Pic1.jpg

Air-Burner-Pic2.jpg

Here's the fan I used from SparkFun.
11270-01.jpg

Sub'd, what a change in output on that burner, I am using high press propane on my stand but this has caught my interest to see how you get this to work with your set up. Good luck.

Instead of a valve, how about a speed controller for the fan?

Cheers!

If he has an unused output on his BCS, he can drive a PWM output for this. You could use the output to control a SSR or a FET to drive the fan. Probably want to put some capacitance or a pi filter on the output to smooth it out.

I've thought about doing PWM from the BCS, but the reality is that this is pretty much going to be a set it and forget it application. I'm only adding air-assist for the BK to be able to quickly get to and maintain the boil.

I've thought about doing PWM from the BCS, but the reality is that this is pretty much going to be a set it and forget it application. I'm only adding air-assist for the BK to be able to quickly get to and maintain the boil.

May be a rheostat would be in order then?

I did another quick temp rise test tonight and was getting 36 degrees rise in the first 10 minutes with the mini blower. That's pretty good (and much better than no air assist), but not as good as my original tests. For the second 10 minute segment, I added the blow gun to the venturi feed and got 42 degrees rise. Bottom line is that the blower is decent, but it could be better. I'll be doing more tests with the other blower fans and have to decide if I want to kick it up a notch if none of them measure up.

Bottom line is that the blower is decent, but it could be better.

Is there a possibility that the blower is providing adequate air volume but not boost pressure? It could be that reducing the diameter of the blower tube right as it enters the venturi chamber will give you better flame boost.

As a side note, if you can't get the blower idea working, you could consider changing your boost gas to something a little easier to oxidize in your burner.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nos-14720nos

I'm not saying that adding braided stainless NOS lines to your brew rig would make it the baddest ass brew rig ever, just throwing it out there as an option...

-B

[subbed]

Since the air input is not a sealed system, there really is no way to increase the air pressure. I guess I could seal off the other venturi opening, but unlike a supercharger on a car, I don't have the ability to increase the fuel pressure the corresponding amount to match and offset the new air pressure.

Yeah, there's always nitrous! LOL :drunk:

I know that my local residential gas supplier will drop an elevated pressure natural gas line to your house on request. It's fairly common for multi-family homes, and they don't have any regulations against doing it for single-family.

The cost could be tricky, especially if your existing plumbing and appliances were not rated to the higher pressure input. The up side is that the performance boost going from the typical 7"WC residential service up to 55" (2psig) should be noticeable.

How did I miss this thread? I run the KAB4 unit converted to natural gas which I think has the same burner. It runs rich (yellow flame) as I give it more gas and I've just sort of lived with that because the performance has been ok on 5 gallon boils. I will have to run a compressor boil test similar to the thread starter and report back the results.

I will have to run a compressor boil test similar to the thread starter and report back the results.
Make sure you turn the output pressure way down, otherwise you'll blow out the burner flame.

I thought I had posted a video in this thread, but now I'm not seeing it. I'll see if I can find it and get it posted.

I know that my local residential gas supplier will drop an elevated pressure natural gas line to your house on request. It's fairly common for multi-family homes, and they don't have any regulations against doing it for single-family.

The cost could be tricky, especially if your existing plumbing and appliances were not rated to the higher pressure input. The up side is that the performance boost going from the typical 7"WC residential service up to 55" (2psig) should be noticeable.

That's an interesting option. It could definitely solve the NG poor performance problem. I know my NG on the street side is high pressure and is regulated down before the meter. I would guess this setup would either require two meters or a splitter and two regulators after the meter because most older appliances aren't going to be compatible.

My goal with this was to come up with a simple solution that others can replicate. The proof-of-concept tests show it's doable and I'll have the finished setup to show within a couple weeks.

This interests me considerably. Since switching my KAB6 to NG with the Blichmann kit, my recovery times have been okay, but my boil-off changed quite a bit. I have not been happy with the flame I'm getting. I'll have to try this approach.

Subbed.. I also run the BG14 on NG. Love the quietness of the NG, but it can take 30-45 mins to get to boil after sparging (12.5 gal batch). Would love a way to improve the efficiency and save time.

May be a rheostat would be in order then?

Definitely something I should play with. I think I have an old one in the electronics box that might work for this.

Tests last weekend showed that I definitely need air flow control. I used a 1" SS feed tube (for aesthetics) into the burner and now with the larger tube, the same fan is delivering too much air. I dug out a rheostat I had laying around and I'll wire it in now to give me some adjustability. I also had issues with the wiring of my igniters melting some, so I've ordered some fiberglass wire insulation to ensure the leads don't touch.

I just found this thread and its very interesting. I don't see the videos of the burners in action can you repost them?

Thanks

I just found this thread and its very interesting. I don't see the videos of the burners in action can you repost them?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/W55b4BcCPM4

You can see right after he lights it that the BG-14 is putting out way too many BTUs. The excess flame height is the first indicator, and the flame color is a bit too yellow.

:mug:

What I do: grab the Youtube URL from an actual player session, then post the link using the URL tags...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRbu0H_UwM&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Cheers!

I can't wait to see your new build thread!

I have a single tier propane system with a blichman top controlling the mlt, I would love to get rid of it and switch to a bcs to control both hlt and mlt but I cant figure out how to do it.

I can't wait to see your new build thread!

I have a single tier propane system with a blichman top controlling the mlt, I would love to get rid of it and switch to a bcs to control both hlt and mlt but I cant figure out how to do it.

My build is getting close! I re-plumbed a few items yesterday and still need to add the fan speed-controller and a couple other small items.

To control your MLT, you just need a solenoid valve that can switch the gas on and off. Couple that with an electric igniter and the BCS can fire on/off to maintain the temp.

My build is getting close! I re-plumbed a few items yesterday and still need to add the fan speed-controller and a couple other small items.

To control your MLT, you just need a solenoid valve that can switch the gas on and off. Couple that with an electric igniter and the BCS can fire on/off to maintain the temp.

That sounds so easy, but I'm not an electronics guy. I can solder and follow instructions (like making the brewpi was simple) but when I read up on the BCS threads and it starts getting into relays and stuff I have no idea how to pick out what is needed.

Thinking about the top, it is basically just a box with a gas solenoid valve and an igniter though and it works great. I'll read up some more and see if I can figure it out with the BCS so I don't have to buy another blichman top.

Thanks for the response and looking forward to seeing your new rig! Maybe I can stop by sometime when I'm in the area, I try to go out there every couple months for the salt water fish stores.

Back