BIAB trial and ... success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I decided to give BIAB another visit and I am pleased to report it seems to have worked out really well. The sad news is I didn't take photos for the entire process.

Big shout out for Wilser Brewer at biab bags for the nice custom bag. I mash in a square 48 quart Igloo cooler and he designed a nice bag that fits around the top hinge pefectly. Normally (for years) I use this cooler with a bazooka or SS mesh strainer and do batch sparges. On a whim I decided to try the bag.

I'm making a (new to me) SMASH recipe for a pale ale that uses 2 row and Simcoe. I picked the BIAB profile from BeerSmith. Instead of doing a full volume I cut the estimate in half and mashed with half the water. The profile called for 149. I was worried so I took a reading at 45 minutes and it was a good thing because at 60 minutes I saw the gravity increase. It appears my cooler isn't holding temp so well. So I added another 15 and took a reading where I saw a small bump. I gave it another 15 where it seem to finally stop.

I debated vorlauf and then decided to just drain. I then squeezed the bag and tipped the cooler over the BK to get everything out. The BK then went on the burner. The remaining "sparge" went into the MT and I mixed it as best I could. I let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I started the same quick drain process. But this time I kept an eye on the volume in the BK to make sure I wasn't over sparging. I did squeeze a bit again but not too much. BeerSmith was close as I didn't leave much in the MT. Cranked the burner up and started the boil and the rest was a regular brew day. Here are my observations:

1. Hard to tell if I saved time since the mash was so long
  2. The wort was much more cloudy than usual
  3. Squeezing the bag wasn't as hard as I expected but my recipe only had about 8 lbs of grain this time
  4. My cooler (MT) was so very clean - no cleanup
  5. Grains in the bag were all clumped together in a nice neat group
  6. Very easy to clean the spent grains - just let the bag cool and drain and then dump into garbage bag - hardly any grains stuck on bag
  7. BeerSmith said 85% efficiency at start of boil? My best is usually 72. After boil it was 81%. Wow. I might need to check those numbers again.

Overall I'm very pleased. I still had a few issues where I think I could improve the process but the cleaning of the MT alone was impressive. I normally spend a ton of time cleaning grains from the cooler and to have them all in a nice solid mass that transfers right into a garbage bag was a big relief. I'm trying to nail down some of the numbers in BeerSmith but I think this also resulted in a big improvement in efficiency for me.

Sounds like you had a decent brewday.

Two things come to mind after reading that, first being cutting your water in half, did you also adjust your strike in tempt to compensate for the changed mash thickness?

Second: If you're seeing your first runnings/mash gravity continue to increase after 60 minutes, you can probably crush much finer than you did.

Also I'm not a fan of the beersmith BIAB profiles, but I know gavin uses them exclusively. As always, I use my own mash calculator at Priceless BIAB or Priceless BIAB testing page

I did not adjust my strike and it was over temp but I stirred for a while with the top open and it came down to 149. But I think after 60 minutes I lost 4 degrees so maybe that slowed things down? I don't recall the setting I have for my mill but it is really narrow. I'm not sure if I can go much finer but I can look at it.

The choice to use the BeerSmith BIAB profile was last minute. I was going to use your calculator but it slipped my mind while trying get my brew day started. I will definitely give it whirl next time. One thing that I need to look into is my boil off rate. I have it at 1.5g per hour but I think it might be closer to 2g. But I was pleased with my gravity readings and the BeerSmith efficiency results were about 8% points higher than normal for me.

But it isn't all good news as I am not seeing any activity from the yeast. I used BRY-97 for the first time and while I did re-hydrate I must have done something wrong because I should definitely see something by now. I've only had this happen one other time when I had yeast sent via mail during the hot summer months. Luckily I have a backup packet which I will probably pitch if I don't see something very soon. It's a shame since it puts a cloud on what was a very nice brew day.

But it isn't all good news as I am not seeing any activity from the yeast. I used BRY-97 for the first time and while I did re-hydrate I must have done something wrong because I should definitely see something by now. I've only had this happen one other time when I had yeast sent via mail during the hot summer months. Luckily I have a backup packet which I will probably pitch if I don't see something very soon. It's a shame since it puts a cloud on what was a very nice brew day.
Don't panic about lack of obvious fermentation activity until more than 72 hrs after pitching. Sometimes things get a slow start. First batch I ever did, I didn't see any activity for about two days, and then the airlock blew out of the jug.

Brew on :mug:

Sometimes things get a slow start. First batch I ever did, I didn't see any activity for about two days, and then the airlock blew out of the jug.

It just started to show activity after about 24 hours. I've never had that happen before. The package claims this yeast is a fast starter too. Ha.

It just started to show activity after about 24 hours. I've never had that happen before. The package claims this yeast is a fast starter too. Ha.
Nice.. yeah, it's easy to worry about a yeast you've never used before. :) In general, I find dry yeast to show activity pretty fast because of the high cell count.

I think others have occasionally complained of getting a slow start with BRY-97 specifically.

I think others have occasionally complained of getting a slow start with BRY-97 specifically.

What gets me is they claim "Quick start and vigorous fermentation" on the product page. So far I've seen the exact opposite! It was slow and appears to just kind of chug along. I'm looking forward to trying this one to see if I can tell any difference. I have another pack so I might experiment with a recipe I've brewed before with US05.

What gets me is they claim "Quick start and vigorous fermentation" on the product page. So far I've seen the exact opposite! It was slow and appears to just kind of chug along. I'm looking forward to trying this one to see if I can tell any difference. I have another pack so I might experiment with a recipe I've brewed before with US05.

What makes you think the yeast read or pay attention to the marketing copy? :D

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back