Portland, ME brewpubs/breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Hey, HBT'ers!

I'm heading to Portland, Maine in a couple weeks. We have plans to try places like Sea Dog, but you folks are the ones who always have the best suggestions. So any places in the Portland/Freeport, etc. area that are good for a pint? We're thinking brewpubs, bars, restaurants with good beer, etc.

Thanks all! Cheers!

Make sure you try some Oxbow beer; probably the best brewery in the state (imo). The brewery isn't in Portland, but you'll find a lot of places with it on tap. Maine Beer Company is great, they are currently moving to Freeport from Portland. Allagash is a good brewery to visit (and they are the biggest in the state). Rising Tide is also putting out some good beer. Bunker Brewing is down the street from Rising Tide, but I've never had their beer. Bull Jagger makes some great Lager beers. I'd skip Sea Dog and Shipyard, tbh.

Bars: Mama's Crowbar (cash only), Great Lost Bear (probably has the most taps in the city), Novare Res (down a back alley, can be hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for), and Thirsty Pig

Food: Duckfat is a must, Grill/Corner/Front Room - 3 different resturants owned by the same guy; all good, Gritty's Brewpub is decent (2 locations, Freeport and Portland), El Rayo (my personal fav), Fore St (make a reservation), and Hugos (if you want something really fancy and $$$$).

Big Sky Bakery is a must stop for breakfast. Gotta have a popper or a pocket, if you like pastries. I suggest getting some English Muffin bread too.

I lived in Portland for a few years. It is an amazing city, especially for food.

I'll second Novare Res and the Great Lost Bear. If you are willing to take an hour road trip, Ebeneezer's Pub in Lovell Maine is IMHO the best belgian bar in the country. Having been there, I can't imagine myself ever taking a trip all the way up to Maine again without making a point to get to Ebeneezer's.

I'm late to the thread. Have you gone yet? If so, what did you find/enjoy?

Back