Secondary in keg and carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
So I've been doing some searching on this to no avail. I racked to secondary in a corny today in order to free up my fermentation vessel for my next brew. My question is: is it ok to go ahead and "set and forget" the co2 at this point so that it'll definitely be carbed in a few weeks when it's ready to tap or will this affect the beer in some unexpected way?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

So I've been doing some searching on this to no avail. I racked to secondary in a corny today in order to free up my fermentation vessel for my next brew. My question is: is it ok to go ahead and "set and forget" the co2 at this point so that it'll definitely be carbed in a few weeks when it's ready to tap or will this affect the beer in some unexpected way?

Set it and forget it for 2 weeks. What psi? What temp?

Sweet, downinit-you just speeded up my pipeline by at least two weeks! I guess I better start drinking up/invite friends over!!!

Keep in mind that whatever you would've ended up with in your secondary will now be in your keg and that you'll still need to let it sit on the co2 for a while (don't look at me for the math) once you cool it down to serving temps because of temp's effect on co2 dissolving. This seems like it might be trickier to gauge than just force carbing once you're done using it as a secondary, plus then you wouldn't have to worry about sediment from the secondary fermentation.

That said, if it works well, please post details :)

Also k eep in mind that if you are keeping the secondary at room temp, you need to up the CO2 pressure to get it carbonated. Cold beer can hold more CO2 than warm beer.

Well to those of you worried about sediment, on my last beer (and this one here is just my second) I kegged straight from primary, so sediment-wise its the same. I'll give it a whirl and let you guys know how it goes. Temp is ~68F

My method. 12.5 gallon batches. Primary 10 days, glass secondaries 14 days. Cornies under 22 lbs at about 63-65 degrees for 2 weeks. Perfect carb every time.

Back