Foam in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4/30 brewed 5G batch of APA in 6.5 gallon carboy. things started a little later than normal. saying that meaning usually i have had activity within the first 12 hours. This didn't start until about 36 hours after putting in carboy.

Everything looking good until i came home tonight and checked. I still have great activity. But the foam is up the neck and in the air lock.

Should i just leave it? I tried a few new things this go round

-Used a stir plate for rehydrating the yeast
-made a wort chiller and used to cool wort

Things appear to be ok, just wondering if i leave it and put in the shower in case of overflow....going to setup acount so i can post photos. mainly to show off my 15 gallon conical that i am building.

jr

Photo of brew

ForumRunner_20110503_190229.jpg

You could do a blow off tube. Do you have a hose that you can stick in the cork? If so, just run it into a bottle of half filled water. That will prevent the mess, and keep things clean.

You need to throw a blow off tube on there. You'll put a tube from the carboy to a container with sanitizer in it to catch the overflow. Do a search for blow off tube to see the different types of applications. Looks like a healthy fermentation!

Mine did this today too. What causes it? Most of my brews don't get this much foam up the neck of the carboy...

Big healthy fermentation-lots of sugars, good oxygen in the wort and healthy yeast. Its a good thing!

Back