Kolsch First try Robobrew 3.1 Fermzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of Kolsch ale Feb.11 I used Fermentis Safale K-97 for the first time, I used RO water and adjusted the water profile also for the first time . The grain bill was 8 lbs Kolsch malt from Home brew store 2 lbs. Vienna malt, 8 oz. acidulated malt and 8 oz. carapils. (A little too much acidulated malt I had to add baking soda to the wort to bring ph back to 5.2)

I cooled wort to 16 c (60f) rehydrated yeast as per package instructions put it in the Fermzilla with a Tilt and waited 36 hours the Tilt read 1.053 my starting gravity. I shook the fermenter and the sg shoot up to 1.063 today Feb.17 the gravity reading is 1.012 and the wort is very cloudy. Room Temp is 17c (63f)

Is this normal for this yeast to take so long to start? The wort is cloudy now where it was not until I shook up the wort. I hope it clears up. I am going to let this sit in the cold-room for a month as well.

I personally would warm it up for a couple of days. I’ve not used that yeast. My Kolsch yeast would be sluggish at 60. I begin at 62 and raise it over 5-7 days to 68. It helps the yeast finish the last few points. I leave it at 68 for 2-3days. I then cold crash it at 34 for 3-5 days. Once the yeast drops out I package.

That's a normal temperature for K-97. It should be fine, and I'm not surprised it took so long to start. K-97 takes forever to clear, though it eventually will.

I used to use K-97 a lot, but had a few batches that had that tart taste people talk about. Plus it took forever to clear. I've been really happy with Lallemand Koln in its place.

I've used K97 a few times, but not recently. I don't remember how long the lag time was but I don't think it was excessive. But I pitched it at mid-60s instead of low 60s. What I remember was the huge cap of foam on top, which took a long time to fall. (you can harvest that to pitch your next batch)

I personally would warm it up for a couple of days. I’ve not used that yeast. My Kolsch yeast would be sluggish at 60. I begin at 62 and raise it over 5-7 days to 68. It helps the yeast finish the last few points. I leave it at 68 for 2-3days. I then cold crash it at 34 for 3-5 days. Once the yeast drops out I package.
I did warm it up and it did drop a point

Back