Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
Today I'm going to rack my cider, been sitting in primary for 10 days now and fermentation stopped. Trying for a clear cider with no additives. Should I cold crash it after I rack it off the yeast? And how would I go about cleaning and saving my yeast for my next batch?

How would I go about checking for suckback? Just take off the vapor lock a couple times a day to relieve pressure? What causes suckback? Sorry for all the questions, I just want a full understanding

Suck back is caused by cooler temperatures slightly reducing the volume in the carboy. Warm things expand, cool contract.

I take my airlocks off and replace with a cap. Cold crashing stops the yeast anyways, so you should be fine with a sealed container.

You will see the liquid in an airlock being sucked into your brew

I didn't know if you were going to eventually bottle it and carbonate it or not, but if you cold crash to clear, my experience has been that it will take a while to carb the bottles. It will eventually, but just don't expect it to carb in the normal amount of time.

I don't necessarily want to crash it to clear, I just want to clear it up a bit, right now you can't even shine a light through it. But yeah, I'm going to carb this

You can always go clear and then add some more yeast at bottling time too, they'll drop out of suspension soon after carbonation is complete.

That was actually my original plan, just add a tiny pinch of yeast at bottling

Back