How do I speed up fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-10

Reaction score
Any tips welcome about speeding up fermentation of beer ?

I'm using 90% spray-malt, 9% white sugar(inverted) and 1% honey.

I've added Youngs Yeast Nutrient, Yeast-Vit for vits and minerals, and dead yeast hulls.

Any more ideas ?

You don't. You're not in charge of this, the yeast are. And they have their own agenda and time frame. Most of us anticipate a month in primary and then a minimum of 3 weeks to bottle condition. Good beer isn't a race. It's leaving the yeast alone to do their job.....

Patience is one of the main ingredients. As long as fermentation is taking place IMHO I would not want to speed up or slow down the process. The yeasties are better brewers than us all, give them wort and keep them within temp range then let them do work.

Revvy beat me to it, same idea though.

Any tips welcome about speeding up fermentation of beer ?

I'm using 90% spray-malt, 9% white sugar(inverted) and 1% honey.

I've added Youngs Yeast Nutrient, Yeast-Vit for vits and minerals, and dead yeast hulls.

Any more ideas ?

Liquor store :D?

All jokes aside. You really can't speed up the process. All the stuff your adding is made to give yeast everything it needs for a healthy fermentation not to speed it up.

Patience is one of the main ingredients. As long as fermentation is taking place IMHO I would not want to speed up or slow down the process. The yeasties are better brewers than us all, give them wort and keep them within temp range then let them do work.

Revvy beat me to it, same idea though.

Liquor store :D?

All jokes aside. You really can't speed up the process. All the stuff your adding is made to give yeast everything it needs for a healthy fermentation not to speed it up.

+1 to both of you!!!!!!

:mug:

You can ferment in very warm conditions (over 80 deg) but if you do the beer will not be very good. Fast hot fermintations cause fusel alcohols to be produced and it will taste horrible.

Have you tried a vacation? Leave for a few weeks, when you return. . . TA-DAH!

+2

Besided the great suggestions above, some yeast strains start and are more active than other, so the beer might be ready earlier.
Or pitching onto an existing yeast cake.

Back