Watery finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Ok what did I do wrong I used True Brew Oktoberfest kit steeped the Grains even longer than I should have. other than that I followed the directions to the letter. But after 1 month in the fermenter and over 1 month in the fridge I have a beer that Pours nice, good head and retention good initial taste good hoppiness, but the finish.... very watery. I amb getting ready to brew a Pumpkin ale that is all grain. How can I make sure that I don't screw it up again. And any Idea what I did wrong.

If you could share the mash temps, OG & FG and grain bill. When you say the watery finish, are saying it's dry or lack of body?

It didn't specify a particular temp for brewing. Just to a boil Directions say to steep in bag 20-30 minutes I steeped them 45 minutes to 1 hr. I got weird BG OG readings. BG 1.030 & OG 0.998. What I mean by watery finish is just that initial taste is good a little light on the body but as you complete the swalloing process all the flavor is washed away. Almost like chasing your beer with a glass of water.

True brew Oktoberfest: 1 can Un hopped amber malt extract
2lbs Light dried malt extract
2 Oz Melanoidin Grain
2 Oz Hop Pellets
1 1/2 gallons water
Boiled water turned down heat steaped grains for 45-1 hr ( Directions said to steep 20-30 minutes. But Had something come up and they steeped longer)
Discarded grains returned to near boil turned down heat and put in can of malt extract stirred in dried malt and hops. boiled again 30 minutes.
Added 3 gallons + cold water filled to 5 gal mark let cool to under 90 degrees I think It got to 86 degrees tested BG it was 1.030 pitched yeast. fermented 1 month.
1 cup water boiled
5 oz priming sugar
moved to secondary and then bottled.
sat in dark room for 1 month Placed in fridge for 3 weeks.
Thanks
Mike.

5oz priming sugar is good for about 6 gallons of brew so I'm sure you have very high carb levels. Is this a Mr. Beer kit? Oktoberfest is supposed to be a lager but your temps suggest it's definitely NOT a lager. What yeast was used? How many lbs is your 1 can of amber malt extract? Your OG is crazy low and your FG is in wine league it's so low. Odd.....

It is a true brew kit and it didn't give steeping temps. I'm not sure that the hydrometer is accurate. Not sure what brand of yeast it came with but it was ale yeast. and I am not sure how big the can was.
Thanks
Mike.

Back