Computer Server Rack Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cook1969

Reaction score
I have been brewing some partial mash stuff with good success so I decided to use my Christmas money and go ass deep into this thing. Inspired by the pics and advice on this site, I kept my eye out for some metal to use for my rig. My work gave me some old two post computer server racks. I used the brackets and posts to make my main stand, and then I used some steel to fab up the burners. The burners just sit on the the aluminum posts and can slide from side to side. I wanted to be able to move the burners around for fish frying or to put a big ass griddle on two and cook beans or some such on the third when i wasnt brewing beer.

I am not a welder, not a metalurgist, not even an all grain brewer yet.
What I am is a beer drinker and a tinker'er. I like to cook too, so I wanted this big bastard to be able to do something other than brew beer. I have the pump mounted on a bracket that allows it to just slide off so that the pump and beer part of the deal isnt harmed when this thing goes into bbq cook out mode. Im new to the game so take it easy on me. Thanks fellas.

This is how it started life

ACN1008_l.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Looks great! If you like to drink beer and tinker, then you're in good company ;)

Then i got to cutting and bolting things together. I came up with a way to make the burners out of angle steel.

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

The hardest part was figuring out how to rig the gas up. Once the mig welder was dialed in, I got the metal to stick together. Not production welds, but good enough for a half ass homebrewer.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Im still putting some finish up stuff on it. I have to mount the plate chiller etc. The majority is aluminum, but I used steel to make the burners, and then obvioulsy I used aluminum tread plate for the heat shield on the pump. I may make some banjo buners for it to use in the future. The regulator I put on the bottle goes up to 350 lbs, so the banjos shouldnt be a problem. What do you guys think of my first effort?????

neat...however im still worried about how much you plan to brew? I would be skeptical of how much weight it will hold. Although, I'm pulling for you and hope it all works out.

Looks great. Keep us updated with the finishing touches. I like the re-purposing, mine's made of recycled items too. I wouldn't worry about the weight, most brewstands on here are way overbuilt (mine included). Yours should hold up fine even with all three vessels full.

Looks great. Keep us updated with the finishing touches. I like the re-purposing, mine's made of recycled items too. I wouldn't worry about the weight, most brewstands on here are way overbuilt (mine included).

No idea about the aluminum in your stand, but most stands you see are definitely beefier than they need to be...mine is 1" steel square tube and you could park a car on it...good luck with yours. I hope it holds well...

My company tests telecom equipment. We scrap about 50 of those racks a year. May need to think about new uses for them. We did have an employee use them to make studs for a storage building with them. That brew stand idea was very inovative.

The heat COULD present a problem....but this would certainly work for an electric stand.

Back