Similar to partigyle or completely different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a pound of Simcoe off a member here for a good deal. I would like to make a Big IIPA. I do 10G brew days but don't really want 10G of IIPA. So was thinking doing partigyle like when making Barley wine only instead of ending up with a BW and a Mild, ending up with a IIPA and an IPA. Would I basically go through the same ideas of partigyle? I can do my own research on Partigyles. I know it's been discussed here plenty. But Don't know if it'd be similar. if so I'll start scouring the recipe database for an all simcoe IIPA/IPA.

anyone have that calculator handy?

Calculator? Didn't know one existied til now. My Google-foo has brought me this;

PG calculator

Never used it so.....caveat emptor, use the farce, and all that.

I have however, done the long hand via Moshers BT write-up. By far the best resource I have yet to see on the details of PG brewing. It, is here;

BT - Parti-Gyle Brewing

And yes, regardless of style, what you are proposing is a parti-gyle. A first running high grav and a second running medium grav. If you've never played with first wort hopping, you might take a look at that too to maximize hop utilization with respect to aroma and flavor.

It would be the same. You'll want to drain the first runnings, even if you normally fly sparge. Then sparge enough to get you boil volume for the IIPA.

Tom O's FAQ and spreadsheet

Edit: And to answer the question posed in the thread title, it's the same. You could also do a strong scotch ale and a 60/- or 70/- by using partigyle techniques.

Thanks for the link Gila and Yes David, I Batch Sparge so shouldn't be a problem. I figure, I've been doing this brew thing almost 2 full years now, time I do a challenge.

Latest posts

Back