I Love Bud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligans

Reaction score
I hear that so Often at work I love bud light. really ? are your serious.... People like that piss me off.. I still cant get over that , general population in the united States do not know what real beer taste like... So when I hear that at work I give them a home brew... and I hear again and again. ... damn man you should sell this... but you know we all have heard the same response..... that being said... I am ranting about how people are so blind to the fact that Bud really is the bottom of the barrell of beer.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

I grew up in the UK, and was weaned on Burton Ales. I've been in the US now for a couple of decades, and still find Budmiloors pretty much tastless. But they do have a couple of things going for them:

1) Cheap when compared to craft brews.

2) On a hot day, a really cold Bud is probably better than anything else to quickly quench your thirst. Most craft brews are heavier and/or similarly tasteless at those temperatures.

Everything has it's place, just like Coffee in the morning, and Orange Juice with breakfast.

Given the choice, I would choose almost any craft brew over Budmiloors. My biggest frustration is that many places don't offer an alternative to it.

Most Americans are mass market consumers and will likely stay that way. Budweiser, McDonald's, Wonder Bread and bad TV aren't going to disappear. A small percentage of the BMC crowd would drink better beer if they were properly exposed to it. As a lead in try asking one of these sheeple to describe what Bud tastes like. Then give them one of your brews and tell them they are actually now tasting malt and hops.

My favorites are the ones that think the beer tastes great when chilled to the point they almost start to get ice in the bottles/cans, my old boss drinks Coos lite has his beer fridge set to 30* cans in the back are sometimes slushy

Bud and Coors Lite are my 2 LEAST favorite beers. And I have tried a lot of the really cheap beers. Anyone that I hang out with are free to drink any swill they want to just don't expect me to follow suit.:D

I do the opposite actually. If I know someone at work is a BMC drinker, they DON'T get any of my home brew. I doubt they would appreciate it or hell, even like it.

:confused: how is a light American lager not a "real" beer? :confused:

Just because you may not care for the style does not mean that's it's not beer.

I agree with this one. BMC has its place in the market (a big $$ place) as well as in the overall beer styles picture. I think myself as somewhat of a beersnob among friends but do not have one problem drinking a macro america light lager with them, or by myself for that matter. I am drinking Straub right now (No sugar salt or preservatives added FTW!), and find it very refreshing on this hot humid night. More tasty than the Ofest I have on tap considering the conditions.

I agree with this one. BMC has its place in the market (a big $$ place) as well as in the overall beer styles picture. I think myself as somewhat of a beersnob among friends but do not have one problem drinking a macro america light lager with them, or by myself for that matter. I am drinking Straub right now (No sugar salt or preservatives added FTW!), and find it very refreshing on this hot humid night. More tasty than the Ofest I have on tap considering the conditions.

I used to drink some Straub myself (St. Mary, PA; had a friend who lived there). I love that stuff (haven't had one in a while)

If we like lagers so much how are we not brewing with rice or corn all the time?After trying hundreds of beers and trying barley wines and dubbles or whatever then go back to something like stone levitation and its like hop water.I kinda thought stella artois in a can was pretty decent despite the bashings and low ratings although i tried that in a bottle at a restreanunt and didnt care to even finish it.
Really if you drank strong ales all the time you probably would think alot of good average abv beer sucked.
Those beers are quenching easy to drink and needed to drink fast before warming,calorie wise they count out taste its just the way it is easy drinkability and drunkedness is usually the intention for those beers.
Miller use to be my drinking beer but i dont drink for quantity much anymore. I just love brewing beer and appreciating well made beer.
To the op :try making a light lager and see how good it turns out.

I really hate micalobe ultra. And almost all light beers are better in the can than in the bottle.

That is pretty awefull tastes like diet coke.:eek: A challange would be for somebody like dogfish to make something better on the same level like bud select 55... stupid or not it would be contaversially stupidly amusing not to metion probably a good marketing idea that would piss people off.

Seeing how buds sales are down %6 this year, others seem to agree with you. That being said I brought a tap a draft to a party. Everyone loved the beer except one woman. She said this dont taste like natty light. I told her thank you if it did I would never brew again.

If people like 'em, good for them. Snobbery is pointless, I stock the beer I like, why should I care if someone else does too?

So are ALL your threads going to be antagonistic? Last night you called folks who opt for long primaries lazy and those who did it didn't know what they're doing, and now today you're bashing a beerstyle and the folks who drink them.

Are all your threads intentionally caustic, and will all of them end up with the same post the next day as you posted in the secondary thread?

I had a few too many homebrews when I posted this blog

I dare you to make a lager clean enough to compete in the American Light Lager category of any competition.

That's why I stick with brewing IPAs, APAs, stous, porters, browns, reds, milds, etc...

I'm perfectly happy to buy the LAA that I consume.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'll call it, "not even gonna place."

i know but im gonna keep trying. cause i like natty light and it is cheap practice for me to try and brew. and i cant keep fn up 30 dollar batches of ipa

good rant, I agree 100%. I can't believe how much bud light we sell compared to actual beer. Its pathetic. But oh well, more good beer for the rest of us.

good rant, I agree 100%. I can't believe how much bud light we sell compared to actual beer. Its pathetic. But oh well, more good beer for the rest of us.

OMG!!! Make a light lager.......make it everyday ,without any off flavours.......with a constant taste!!!!!....I cant, you cant, 99% of the people on here cant!
So you dont like the beer! so what? But the people that make those BMC are friken brilliant brewers!! and thus why this is "home BREW( as in how to) talk" not " home..I dont like this beer...talk"

(Noobs........ gota love them!):cross:

I think of BMC as fishing or poker beer. I don't prefer it to other beers, but will drink it when I just want something to drink, not necessarily enjoy, if that makes any sence at all.

I will say this...

One thing i miss is paying 12 dollars split between 3 people for a 30 rack of Natty Light and being perfectly happy with it. Enough to get 3 of us well on the way for the night. Now im usually paying at least 10 dollars a six pack. BMC will always have a place in my heart. As my brother says "get me something cold, cheap, and light. That way i can pour them down my neck as fast as possible."

I will say this...

One thing i miss is paying 12 dollars split between 3 people for a 30 rack of Natty Light and being perfectly happy with it. Enough to get 3 of us well on the way for the night. Now im usually paying at least 10 dollars a six pack. BMC will always have a place in my heart. As my brother says "get me something cold, cheap, and light. That way i can pour them down my neck as fast as possible."

Aint that the truth! BMC (and other light american lagers) will always have a place in my heart too! Especially when payday is not here yet and I'm running low on HB! Or when a bunch of the guys (who have a tendancy to drink the beer until its dry) are comin over to watch a game!

I've been drinking some serious berliner weisse in this hot weather. Now that is a quencher. I do wonder if they could catch on in place of the light lager.

One can only hope! But it has NASTY BACTERIA AND BUGS in it!!! My wife thought that beers brewed with bacteria is gross, until I told her about that Framboise she loves so much.

Just a meme observation:

A: BMC sucks.
B: Don't be such a snob, beer is beer and all styles have a place.
C: I'd like to see you brew a light lager, it's very difficult.
D: BMC is evil because it's all about brainwashing with media.

This represents pretty much all post types in any thread about BMC. Post "C" is the weird one for me because I don't think something that is hard to create is inherently deserving of more respect.

I love my homebrews and craft brews but there are times I like a good Bud Light as well.:mug: I guess the Beer Snob Nazis can lock me up now!!:confused:

My first exposure to beer was via the kegs of Strohs I used to dispense at the pool parties and football Sundays at an apartment complex I lived and worked at back in the late 80s. (Strohs spelled backwards is "shorts").

It was more or less undrinkable to me unless it was absolutely ICE cold and I was looking for something to wash down barbeque/hot wings, snacks, or pizza. I hated the smell of the "cleanup".

Some years later I would enjoy a Corona or two, or three when hanging out with a (then) boyfriend's Mexican family (it was Corona, Miller, or tequilla for them). Corona was good for washing down spicy food, and certainly was a thirst quenching beer for sitting outside on a patio in the middle of summer.

Didn't drink beer again until almost a decade later when another (then) boyfriend handed me a Chimay red

- "this is beer?" - :ban:

BMC serves a place in the beverage food chain - heck I drink Leffe when I'm feeling cheap and uninspired, and will still drink a Corona on occasion.

The anti-BMC/"mass produced lager" thing seems to only be something that the beer snobs, homebrewers and microbrewers seem to concern themselves with.

After watching the series "Oz and James Drink to Britain" - you could see a little bit of the same sentiment expressed against "lager" by the 2 hosts, only for them to admit that it was a perfect drink to wash down a curry.

All we can do as homebrewers, is try and introduce our friends to new styles, while staying within their comfort zone. My Bud Light-swilling ex bf will on occasion bring home a 6 of "Dead Guy Ale" and heck, even "Golden Monkey" thanks to my influence. :tank:

Back