What's wrong with my sour mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbien

Reaction score
I did a sour mash for about 48 hours. Did an hour boil and added salt/coriander for the last 10 min. Pitched some washed WY3711 at 64 degrees and 3 days later there was no sign of fermentation. Next I rehydrated US05 and its been another 3 days and still no sins of fermentation and no change in gravity. Carboy is in a temp controlled fridge at 64 degrees. What the heck is going on? I've never experienced anything like this before.

I did a sour mash for about 48 hours. Did an hour boil and added salt/coriander for the last 10 min. Pitched some washed WY3711 at 64 degrees and 3 days later there was no sign of fermentation. Next I rehydrated US05 and its been another 3 days and still no sins of fermentation and no change in gravity. Carboy is in a temp controlled fridge at 64 degrees. What the heck is going on? I've never experienced anything like this before.

Did you check gravity?

it's possible the pH dropped too low for the sacch although 48 sour mash isn't that long

can you check the pH?

Don't have a way to test pH but it doesn't taste more sour than previous sour mashes I've done for about the same time. Anyone know if Brett is more pH tolerant? I can try a big pitch of C3 and see what happens, if it is a pH issue, I doubt anything else will get in there.

Thats what I thought, but its hard to find specific info on it. I'll let you know if that works.

Don't worry too much about the fermentation, because if you added 0.75 oz of table salt to a 5-gal batch, your beer is ruined anyway.

Don't worry too much about the fermentation, because if you added 0.75 oz of table salt to a 5-gal batch, your beer is ruined anyway.

Your comment isn't helpful

A: You're wrong, especially since it's a Gose
B: I was asking for fermentation help not recipe critiques

When I sour mashed I had a sluggish ferm, mostly due to the lower pH. I ended up pitching double the yeast needed to get a good ferm in a sour mash environment. Brett is a good alternative. I would suggest Brett B. Trois as a clean primary yeast. Depending on your OG, you may need to step the Brett, note this takes roughly seven or eight days for full Brett growth, so if you need something active sooner you might need to pitch multiple vials. You can also add in some extra yeast nutrient as well.

When I sour mashed I had a sluggish ferm, mostly due to the lower pH. I ended up pitching double the yeast needed to get a good ferm in a sour mash environment. Brett is a good alternative. I would suggest Brett B. Trois as a clean primary yeast. Depending on your OG, you may need to step the Brett, note this takes roughly seven or eight days for full Brett growth, so if you need something active sooner you might need to pitch multiple vials. You can also add in some extra yeast nutrient as well.

Thanks. I'm stepping up some Iris C3 Brett right now, it's my favorite strain that I've used. I think with the lower pH and my sanitation standards, I should be okay for the 7-10 day growth period. I may may buy a pH tester after this experience, it seems less sour than my last sour mash which 3711 ripped through in 5 days.

I may may buy a pH tester after this experience, it seems less sour than my last sour mash which 3711 ripped through in 5 days.
Oddly enough, pH is not an indicator of lactic acid present. I've had sours that were mouth puckering in 2 days at pH of 3.6, and others that were seriously mild at a pH of 3.4.

that said, it's still a really good idea to get a solid pH meter. Use it for mash pH validation and tuning (which also has a huge impact on fermentability of the wort).

Do you think if I split it into 2 carboys and blended in some unsoured wort, that would help?

Do you think if I split it into 2 carboys and blended in some unsoured wort, that would help?

You can definitely pitch more wort/sugar to "reactivate" fermentation but before adding *more* wort/sugar; take a gravity reading. If you still have some left, then I would pitch a large amount of re-hydrated dry-yeast. Since the environment is hostile, I would suggest lager-level pitch size to ensure the yeast get going and can finish fermenting the remaining sugars.

Latest posts

Back