Suspended hops in already carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesmirk

Reaction score
I normally cold crash a batch before kegging, but I forgot to do that with my latest batch. I also think the dry hop pellets got stirred up while racking. I thought that if I let the keg settle, and chill to serving temp, that the hops and sediment would settle at the bottom, and the first few pints would have debrs in it, and then it would eventually clear.
After about 10 pints, it does not appear to be clearing up at all.
Any advice on how to clear it up? Would gelatin do anything? how about wrapping something around the dip tube to act as a filter?
Thanks in advance!

you might want to rack the beer out of the keg into a carboy and make some kind of screen to go around that little tube at the bottom of the keg. the hops on the bottom of your keg are causing the issue. if you put your beer from primary to keg, then you didn't allow the sediment and hops from getting filtered out. that's what's sitting on the bottom of your keg, right in the way of the straw that draws your beer out. if you're gonna dry hop inside your keg itself, you might want to hop bag it first. i never used gelatin so i can't comment.

I've had this happen a few times, I have no idea why because in a bottle it all settles out, might have something to do with the carbonation.

One time, it never did clear up.. but the last time it did about half way throught the keg. I tried putting a hopbag on the end of the diptube, but it screwed up the pours.

How long have you waited hoping they will crash out? Seems to take 1 to 2 weeks for some super hoppy beers to sink all the particles for me.

I would guess that it has been cold and on CO2 for 2 weeks now. I think i have talked myself out of gelatin, I don't think that would clean up the hop particles--I have it in my head that it was meant to grab proteins that affect clarity. My only concern is hop particles.
Am I correct to assume that these particles should settle at the bottom, and will eventually clear up? If it were just me drinking it, I would ignore them, but I will be serving it at a party, and would rather not have to make excuses for what is otherwise a tasty brew.

I would guess that it has been cold and on CO2 for 2 weeks now. I think i have talked myself out of gelatin, I don't think that would clean up the hop particles--I have it in my head that it was meant to grab proteins that affect clarity. My only concern is hop particles.
Am I correct to assume that these particles should settle at the bottom, and will eventually clear up? If it were just me drinking it, I would ignore them, but I will be serving it at a party, and would rather not have to make excuses for what is otherwise a tasty brew.

They should, but 2 weeks is a decent amount of time.

I dunno, why make excuses? Instead regale them with the tale of how this beer was brewed by you, and you can just SEE how fresh it is, I mean hell, there's still little flecks of hops in it! It's like the GoldSchlager of beer!!

They should, but 2 weeks is a decent amount of time.

I dunno, why make excuses? Instead regale them with the tale of how this beer was brewed by you, and you can just SEE how fresh it is, I mean hell, there's still little flecks of hops in it! It's like the GoldSchlager of beer!!

Zactly, I've seen them described as 'flavor crystals' in another thread. Revel in them...don't hate.

Latest posts

Back