What to make for my non-beery wife?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
The only kind of beer my wife seems to like is Lindemans "lambics" which are fairly sweet. I think any touch of hop flavor or aroma is not good to her. I have a kriek going right now that she says is "okay" - it's not sweet, but has no hop flavor. I was wondering what "gateway" beers some could suggest. She hasn't really like any "Belgians" I've bought or made. I was thinking maybe a real simple cream ale with just a touch of fruit flavoring.

I also pondered some of the "wine cooler" kits, but they are a little higher in alcohol (7%+) and that's not really brewing to me.

$9 a bottle for Lindemans is getting expensive. And making my own "lambics" takes a loooong time.

I've got a female friend who sounds about the same; even a touch of hops and she is not a fan at all, and make sure it's sweeter 'n sweet tea.

The only beer that she'll even tolerate is either a scotch ale or a fruity american wheat that is rather low on the hops, so perhaps one of these might be your plan of action.

Or you can just give up and start brewing ciders, wines or meads to keep her ok with your hobby.

Apfelwein FTW! The ladies love it and it's easy to make.
Another suggestion might be a hefe or mead.
The only kind of beer my wife seems to like is Lindemans "lambics" which are fairly sweet. I think any touch of hop flavor or aroma is not good to her. I have a kriek going right now that she says is "okay" - it's not sweet, but has no hop flavor. I was wondering what "gateway" beers some could suggest. She hasn't really like any "Belgians" I've bought or made. I was thinking maybe a real simple cream ale with just a touch of fruit flavoring.

I also pondered some of the "wine cooler" kits, but they are a little higher in alcohol (7%+) and that's not really brewing to me.

$9 a bottle for Lindemans is getting expensive. And making my own "lambics" takes a loooong time.

Apfelwein FTW! The ladies love it and it's easy to make.
Another suggestion might be a hefe or mead.

Yeah, I made some Apfelwein. It's a little more alcoholic than she wants. I suppose I could leave out the sugar, and maybe add a "touch" of fruit flavor.

Most of my meads are more wine like. All my sweet meads have come out waaaay to sweet for both of us (like 1.030 FG). She enjoys the dry meads, but they are once again usually in the 10%+ ABV. I suppose I could make some "smaller" meads as well.

I'm thinking of maybe a very low hop hefe, keg it, and add a bit of fruit flavoring until it's just right for her.

You can still ferment apple juice without adding the extra sugar. In fact, you can even drop the ABV by diluting the juice with water.

Has she tried a Belgian Wit like Hoegarden?

How about meads?

Has she tried a Belgian Wit like Hoegarden?

How about meads?

She hates licorice and claims Hoegarden tastes like licorice. (i'm not a fan either, but I like other Wit's).

Yeah, she likes the dry meads, just mine are usually 14% or so. Was wanting something for drinking around the grill, gardening, etc.

She just bought a few 6 packs of the gosh-awful fruit "malt beverages," if that gives you an idea. However, I think a nice light ale with a touch of fruit would be palatable. She actually didn't wretch when she tasted my uncarbed belgian golden strong (which I think came out a little too fruity).

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I need to made Apfelwein with some decent base juice - I used wal-mart brand last time.

For meads, how about a nice hydromel?

Hmmm... I'll look into that.

I was also thinking about a very "small" braggot - like 1.050 with maybe like 1/2 ounce of hallertau select or some aged hops.

I may need to investigate making some small - 2.5 gallon - batches. I could probably do some stove-top partial mash batches. My setup is really not worth it unless I'm doing normal 5 gallon batches.

Yeah, light meads are like ginger ale and quaffable. I thought I hated mead at first because all the samples I had were 10% +++++++.

I've got one that's over 20% and dangerously drinkable. Lots of homegrown blueberries and some champagne yeast. We hide it when we have guests...

I can never seem to get a medium sweet mead. Mine are either really dry or really sweet. I may try a really "small" mead. Meads are easy because there's no boiling.

Anyone every tried brett in a mead? Just thinking out loud...

Back