Carboy Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
OK, I know you guys recommend glass or BB carboys but what is wrong with using a PET carboy? What will it do to the beer if I decided to use one? If for nothing else, for a bottling carboy. Im trying to go CHEAP, here...

And by PET, I mean the ones with water (spring) already in them. Could use the water to brew with and the carboy to ferment with...right? Right?

The only 'negative' I see is it's 5 gallons. If you're not brewing smaller than 5 gallons, then you would definitely need to use a blow off tube. Some here argue they are more oxygen permeable than the BB carboys.

I have one of those I'm going to use as a secondary for some fruit beer or for batches too big for my 2 gallon buckets and too small for my 6.5 gallon buckets. I figure I can just use them so many times, then just recycle them for a new one when I go to buy more water for brewing. If I do a beer that needs some aging, I'll just use one of my cornie kegs.

I use PET bottles all the time for secondary(not needed for secondary, just used because I need more fermenters) and haven't had a single problem. Secondary is NOT NEEDED in any way(save additions), but can be used if you want.

I work where I can get as many PET bottles as I want so why not use them if I'm brewing THAT MUCH???

I don't use "secondary" as described in many of the instructions. I simply use secondary so I can move on to my next brew.

If I had more options to use as primary, secondary would be nothing but a memory!

PET1 bottles are for the GOODER!

Back