First brew in the primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomcult

Reaction score
Finally got the time to do my first brew today, a red ale. Everything went well other than my girlfriend throwing up from the smell when she woke up... The smell of wort seems to be either you love it or hate it kind of then... Trying to keep the temp up for fermentation, should 65F be good? Can't wait to get it into the secondary then to bottles. I really think I am going to enjoy this new hobby...

That's a pretty extreme reaction to the smell of wort. Luckily, my wife and I both love it.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. 65 deg is a good fermentation temperature for most ales, although you may consider letting it rise a little as fermentation winds down to get a point or two extra attenuation.
Don't forget to give the beer plenty of time in primary, either. Rushing to a (often unnecessary) secondary is the cause for a large percentage of "stuck fermentation" posts on these forums.

Latest posts

Back