Ebay cider faucet steal!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cider faucets should be all plastic or Stainless. Brass and chrome plated faucets can corrode because of the PH of ciders and wines.

Cider faucets should be all plastic or Stainless. Brass and chrome plated faucets can corrode because of the PH of ciders and wines.

Thanks! I have all SS on my keezer (and I do serve cider), so looks like I should be in ok shape...

well, I can't get the imagine from ebay to post. So, I will have to post a picture when the faucet arrives.

If you can bring the zoomed picture in it's own window, like when you click on it, you can view the source and search for jpg or gif etc to find the specific address to post in this thread.

You can message me the auction and I can do this if you want.

Oh man! The faucet arrived today and it is a beauty (I'll get some pictures up ASAP) It is Stainless Steel and manufactured by Universal Dispense Systems of Great Britain. It operates like a stout faucet, with a forward tilting lever and a flow valve. It is in perfect condition and even came with a Magners Cider badge and bracket. It is going to make my vintage Guinness faucet look shabby!

worthless.gif

At least link to the bloody auction or give the bloody auction number

Taa-Daa!

Here are the pictures. Ain’t it a beauty? I do love stainless and it only cost $9.95 + shipping!

The whole badge bracket can be removed:
P1010663.jpg

The valve adjusts the flow:
P1010661.jpg

Handle forward for a pour:
P1010662.jpg

That is pretty cool. I have never seen one before, even in the UK. Does it have a restrictor plate thingie like the stout faucets?

I am not sure what the valve mechanism is. It is not a pre-set restriction set-up, but an actual valve, like the older Guinness faucets. I will need to take it apart and clean it up, maybe that will tell me something.

I actually can't figure out why you would need a faucet like this for cider, other than being stainless. Anybody have a guess why you would want a valve for cider? Don't get me wrong, I love my valved stout faucet, it really allows a great pour, but I don't understand why a company would spend the money for a fancy faucet like this when a ordinary one would do.

To answer my own question, it might simply be that it acts like a creamer faucet and creates a greater head on the cider. I don't know but it is an interesting question.

Looks just like a stout faucet to me. Is there a resrtictor in the plastic spout? or a ridge for retaining one?
-Ben

I believe I search under beer faucets, although it could have been in some other oddly named search. Whatever the case, I have not seen one like it before or since and I was the only bidder.

As for pours, I don't have it attached yet and won't until after the cold room is completed. I will let folks know how it works out.

I am not sure what the valve mechanism is. It is not a pre-set restriction set-up, but an actual valve, like the older Guinness faucets. I will need to take it apart and clean it up, maybe that will tell me something.

I actually can't figure out why you would need a faucet like this for cider, other than being stainless. Anybody have a guess why you would want a valve for cider? Don't get me wrong, I love my valved stout faucet, it really allows a great pour, but I don't understand why a company would spend the money for a fancy faucet like this when a ordinary one would do.

It's probably a flow control valve...you can balance the line...adjust it up to get more flow...adjust it down to get less foam.

It's probably a flow control valve...you can balance the line...adjust it up to get more flow...adjust it down to get less foam.

That is what I am assuming as well. I have an older Guinness faucet that has a similar set-up. It is a great handle and I expect this will be equally as useful.

Back