grain bag or lack of it HELP!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grego2

Reaction score
Well I got everything to brew this morning I thought! I forgot to get a grain bag from the LHBS. Since they are closed today, any good substitutes from the local grocery store or hardware store? Would cheese cloth work?

Liberate some Knee-Highs or panty hose from your wife or girlfriend. Or go to Wally World and buy some. They are made out of nylon and will work. If you use panty hose, just cut off one of the legs...

Paint strainer bags will work as well....

do I need to sanitize the paint stainer bag or pantyhose if they are new? Or would the boiling after the steeping do the job?
I will be rinsing the strainer before the grain goes in BTW.

No need to sanitize. The temps form steeping and the subsequent boil will kill any nasties. It might not be a bad idea to rinse whatever you use in some hot water just for the heck of it. Just to sort of remove the "new smell" and any loose particles. Probably not needed, though..

...hmm this beer tastes familiar..i can't quite place it. its' right on the tip of my tongue :D

Latest posts

Back