Anyone make an Oak beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsheatz

Reaction score
I remember when I lived in north Carolina of a beer called Red Oak, very good. I'm currently fermenting a red ale and thinking of spicing it up a little in a secondary fermenter. Anyone use oak before? Any advice?

Red Oak isn't oaked though... Your options on oak are wide open. Chips, cubes, spirals, barrel. No toast, light, medium, heavy toast. American, French, Hungarian oak....

5 Gallon batch? If so, a couple ounces of cubes until it tastes right to you.

I do a whiskey stout that uses oak chips sanitized with whiskey to give it an aged in a whiskey barrel flavor... its very good! I leave it on the chips (medium toast, 4 oz, 1 cup of bourbon) for 10 days... the longer you leave it the more oaky taste you will get. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

edit... that was for a 5 gallon batch

I used a couple toasted oak spirals (from northern brewer) in an imperial stout(OG 1.088). Turned out awesome! Mine sat on Oak and a couple vanilla beans for 9 months, and I'm glad I did it.

Back