Hop Balls @ Wal-Mart <$2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
Just picked up a couple of stainless steel mesh herb/hop balls at Wal-Mart in the kitchen section for $1.97 each. Wal-Mart calls them tea strainer balls or something like that.

Northern Brewer charges $4.75 seems like I paid over $5 @ the LHBS here in Hotlanta.

Yep...Most everything we use in brewing, except ingredients and a few dedicated tools (hydrometers, etc.) can be found in at the hardware, discount and dollar stores, much cheaper...If its used to prepare the wort, then it can be found in the kitchen supply section for a lot less... My strainer was 4.95 at the grocery store as opposed to 15 bucks at my LHBS...My big spoons came from the dollar store, my big funnel was a 1.50 at the hardware store...

Mine fit in a Sanke hole. I stuck 4 of them in there and needed more than that, the hops really swell and I only filled them halfway. Next time, more with less hops in each one.

abracadabra said:
Just picked up a couple of stainless steel mesh herb/hop balls at Wal-Mart in the kitchen section for $1.97 each. Wal-Mart calls them tea strainer balls or something like that.

Northern Brewer charges $4.75 seems like I paid over $5 @ the LHBS here in Hotlanta.

How big are they? 1 oz will swell up, so you need large hop balls.

EdWort said:
How big are they? 1 oz will swell up, so you need large hop balls.

I'd say 3" diameter. Not big enough for a whole oz. that's for sure. That's why I've got 3 now plus 4 homemade hop balls too.

The subtext of this thread is out of control!!! :D

Where're the women?

:cross:

homebrewer_99 said:
The tool used to remove the top from a bucket is the same as they use for 5 gal paint buckets...4.95 @ LHBS...DIY Store...2.99. ;)

I got one for a buck at Home Despot, but I had to saw part of it off to get it to work with my bucket. Decent trade-off if you ask me :)

Buford said:
I got one for a buck at Home Despot, but I had to saw part of it off to get it to work with my bucket. Decent trade-off if you ask me :)

Sometimes I think the DIY aspect of this obsession is as much fun as the brewing and drinking parts of it!!

Speaking of...you have good links there!:mug:

What are you guys talking about for the tool to remove the bucket lids? You use a tool to remove the lids off the Ale Pails? Mine just lifts off. not easily but it snaps off still.

IrregularPulse said:
What are you guys talking about for the tool to remove the bucket lids? You use a tool to remove the lids off the Ale Pails? Mine just lifts off. not easily but it snaps off still.

Some of us older guys hands aren't as strong as they used to be...:(

So we uses this;

pail_open.jpg

Back