Keg Dry Hop Gone Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I used one of these stainless steel dry hop cylinders to dry hop in a keg: Stainless Steel 300 Micron Brewing Hopper Filter Homebrew Dry Hops Beer Tea Brew 688295882251 | eBay
The lid is super flimsy and does not screw on securely. Sure enough, the pos lid came off in the keg and dry hops clogged up everything. Not even a high pressure blast of CO2 through the beverage port could dislodge the hop material. So, the keg to keg transfer was a no go. I then had to autosiphon the batch to my serving keg using one of these autosiphone screens: Diptube or Racking Cane Filter Screen 300 Micron
That was a disaster as well. The beer was so foamy, the autosiphon was extremely ineffective at transferring. In the end I had to pour my beloved dry-hopped beer through a mesh screen into the goddamn serving keg. The batch is now oxidized and my hard work/time are wasted. Ideally I'd be able to install a diptupe filter/ mesh screen directly in the keg for dry hopping, like Scott Janish recommends on his site, however that is only possible if you have a straight diptube, which my ball lock cornys do not. Must be a torpedo keg thing, not sure what he's using but he's got it figured out. My next plan is to use a floating dip tube with one of these filter attachements:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/floating-dip-tube-filter-attachment.htmlSomething tells me that will get clogged too. Just came here to vent - I'm on a real losing streak, my last batch was infected, now this ********. After enough successful batches, you think nothing will ever go wrong, but it sure can. Now I'm seriously considering buying commercial beer today, the horror!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back