Draft Foaming Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngazpacho

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing (5 beers) and even newer to kegging (3 beers), but I'm having some foaming issues I can't figure out. I currently have an IPA on tap, 12 PSI, 10 foot, 3/16 ID tubing, 38 degrees. First beer is 80% foam, second is perfect. I haven't sampled all time deltas when I pour, but in as little as 15-20 minutes (most likely quicker, just not sampled yet) the new pour is 80% foam. Yet always perfect if I pour within 1-2 minutes after the last pour. Any ideas?

I'm new to home brewing (5 beers) and even newer to kegging (3 beers), but I'm having some foaming issues I can't figure out. I currently have an IPA on tap, 12 PSI, 10 foot, 3/16 ID tubing, 38 degrees. First beer is 80% foam, second is perfect. I haven't sampled all time deltas when I pour, but in as little as 15-20 minutes (most likely quicker, just not sampled yet) the new pour is 80% foam. Yet always perfect if I pour within 1-2 minutes after the last pour. Any ideas?

Two things come to my mind immediately. One is the temperature at the faucet vs the temperature inside the kegerator. Do you have a tower, or another way that the beerline or faucet can be warmed between pours?

The second possibility I think of is the beer is overcarbed, something like it was at a higher psi before but is now lower at 12 psi. That can happen when people try to quick carb at a higher pressure, and/or shake the keg. That would also cause issues like you're having.

That is almost certainly a temperature differential problem. Most of the time, you can fix it by using a fan to circulate the cool air in the kegerator into the tower to keep the lines the same temp. Or you can do what I do and use two glasses for your first pour. It's not like its going to be wasted after all.

Back