Why am I so cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarry

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well doing a full grain American Red Ale. I live in Fl so I'm sweating my ass off. Hit mash temp perfectly, everything went great. Added hops but was too lazy to run to the garage for new hop bag and just reused one. Well, it disintegrated on me. Now I have hops and hop bag that I need to filter out. Certainly, not worth it. I'm sure some of you have been here before, in one way or another. Had to vent.
Ron

Don’t vent, filter! I use a kitchen strainer on top of a big funnel. Do half a batch, drain it and dump it. Rinse, lather, repeat. Strain it and drain it. I haven’t used a hop bag since 2006.

Or you could leave it in and let it settle out. Hops seem to do a little better out of the bag. Free range hops.

Yeah if I am using whole hops I use a big commercial kitchen type strainer that fits over the top of the fermenter and just pour everything through it. Key is to make sure the strainer is well sanitized. I spray it thoroughly with iodophor and let it sit on the fermenter with the cover over it for 10 minutes or so.

I ended up using a 5 gallon paint strainer that I learnt about on this forum. All is well and bubbling away. Bought new hop bags.

Hey, I just had the brew day from hell. Venting is A OK. I was looking at the stainless filters for hops that many brewers are buying. I guess with shipping they are about $40 but easy and no mess.

Back