First yeast wash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I mixed half quart of sterile water in my primary bucket, swirled around and poured into a sterile quart jar. Hour later (at room temp), I had about half a jar of junk at the bottom and I poured off the top into a second quart jar half full of water. I put in the frig.

Day later, this is what I've got
wash.JPG

Does this look right? I was expecting a lot more yeast at the bottom. This liquid is pretty clear.

Cos said:
I mixed half quart of sterile water in my primary bucket, swirled around and poured into a sterile quart jar. Hour later (at room temp), I had about half a jar of junk at the bottom and I poured off the top into a second quart jar half full of water. I put in the frig.

Day later, this is what I've got
wash.JPG

Does this look right? I was expecting a lot more yeast at the bottom. This liquid is pretty clear.

That's about what i got from my Irish Ale yeast, except i kept cleaning and washing and got 7 jars out of it.

Should I bottle the whole thing? 32 oz won't fit in a 12 oz bottle. Should I pour off about half and bottle the rest?

That doesn't look like much yeast to me.

Cos said:
Should I bottle the whole thing? 32 oz won't fit in a 12 oz bottle. Should I pour off about half and bottle the rest?

I keep mine in vials, so I would pour of 95% of the liquid and stick in a vial. Otherwise, yes. Decant 20oz and put the remaining 12 in a bottle.

As for your yeast, it appears that you were extra vigilant with your trub removal. I did the same thing my first time (I've done a whopping 3) and got low yield, but a perfect yeast layer. Drop that hour wait time to about 10-15 minutes.

Cos said:

You don't need all that liquid, or any liquid at all... i keep mine in the mason jars...

Some people say that keeping them in liquid will actually make the least last longer, and some say that the extra liquid will make is spoil faster... Kind of a toss up... i have no liquid in mine, but i'm going to start leaving liquid in the jars, after all the smak paks are liquid.

After 15 minutes the trub hadn't settled too much. There wasn't really much to pour off.

I knew I should have saved the yeast vial.

That looks fine. Yeast cells are pretty big and they fall out of solution if they are not shaking. That "junk" at the bottom is a butt load of yeast cells.

Based on the picture above,would you say that's more or less yeast cells than you get in a pitchable vial?

Cos said:
Based on the picture above,would you say that's more or less yeast cells than you get in a pitchable vial?

Either way, just use a starter. You'll be able to get your yeast quantity high enough to pitch.

But in answer to your question:

It looks like it might be slightly less than you get in a vial.

Latest posts

Back