Sediment in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
I have a bunch of trub in my primary. One I rack to secondary, can I add fresh water to balance back to 5 gallons?

I wouldn't, it would just water down your beer. Trub loss is something you have to learn to work around. Start at 5.25 gallons if you need to and are really hoping for five gallons exactly. In the end it's only going to be a couple of beers you're loosing.

Not unless you want to water down your beer. Make sure the beer is always at FG before any racking. then give it 3-7 days more to ssettle out clear or slightly misty. It cleans up by products of fermentation at this same time. Also,the trub becomes more compacted on the bottom of primary,giving more clear beer to rack out.

If you skip secondary and opt instead for a month long primary, and you then carefully rack the beer off the trub, you'd be surprised how much beer you get back. the longer you leave the beer alone, the more I've found the trub layer compacts, giving up the beer. I average about 52 beers from a normal 5 gallon batch, I've often got 2 cases and a full six pack from my beer, and I've NEVER "over compensated for trub loss" by putting more beer in the fermenter.

Back