Brown Ale Foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Tonight I just bottled my second batch of beer. The first was an IPA and it turned out great. Then I brewed a brown ale, when I bottled it, it seemed foamy as though it was already carbonated. Do this sound right? The IPA was not like this at all when I bottled it. I am just worried about bottle bombs. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Take a gravity reading and you'll know whether you might have bottle bombs or not. But to answer your question, beer is very slightly carbonated after fermentation. If you splashed it, it would produce foam.

It wasn't splashed, however I did blow air through it when I pushed down the siphon, and then again after it lost suction, then again about two seconds later. My wife and I were making mead as I was bottling. I should have known better then doing two things at once.

Back