Brett yeast as secondary...what should I use for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanofbeer

Reaction score
I'm planning on fermenting a beer to a similar schedule to that of Orval (I wouldn't call it a clone attempt, though the target gravities will be similar) and I'm looking for a primary yeast. Orval uses wlp510, but that is seasonal. I would use an orval bottle, but it only has the secondary strain, which I already have. Does anyone know of another commercial beer that uses the 510? or can anyone tell me what it's like and what I'm aiming for flavor/ester wise?

If I can't find anything, I have resolved to culture from an Ommegang bottle; fairly dry (when not on tap) and attenuates to about the right degree if I'll be using brett later. Thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast:
Used to produce Trappist style beers. Similar to WLP500, but is less fruity and more alcohol tolerant (up to 15% ABV). Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium to high
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-72°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

I used wyeast 3463 - forbidden fruit and dregs from Orval bottles for the brett. It was one of the most amazing beers that I have ever made.

Back