Strains for primary with BR-8 bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethbunny

Reaction score
In various SafBrew BR-8 materials, it's described as:
BR-8 has the ability to ferment glucose, fructose, maltose, and maltotriose exclusively. BR-8 is non-diastaticus meaning it will not ferment dextrins, preventing over-attenuation in bottling.
There's this notable callout direct from Fermentis:
Do not use in refermentation when primary fermentation is performed with a maltotriose negative yeast due to the residual amount of maltotriose at the end of the fermentation.
How do people determine what is or isn't a maltotriose-positive yeast? It seems to be a distinct attribute, different from diastatic. From my initial searching it seems that most s. cervisiae doesn't touch maltotriose at all. Is this effectively saying that, while BR-8 is not diastatic, one should still use such a yeast to complete the primary fermentation?

How do people determine what is or isn't a maltotriose-positive yeast?
Broadly it's the yeasts like Windsor with attenuation down at 70% or less, you should be fine with anything that has a listed attenuation in the mid-70s or more.

Be interested to hear how you get on with BR-8, it seems to be a bit under the radar at the moment.

I did actually see that Lallemand has detailed which sugars would be fermented, at least for a few strains. For my first experiment with this I currently plan to go extremely safe with a diastatic saison, but we'll see where things take me after.

Oh, that's interesting. I did not know that it's supposed to work when used at bottling, without having to fear bottle bombs.

I have it in one beer at the moment, however mixed with clausenii. So using it in secondary was probably a good decision.

But I got more than half a pack left! I might just dose a few bottles with it next time I brew to see what happens.

Back