Beertools Online Edition and Late Extract Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulene

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am a partial grain extract brewer who can barely afford ingredients for a batch of beer, let alone beer brewing software! I have been playing around with a recipe using the free MyBeertools online at beertools.com. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to factor in late extract additions when calculating a recipe with this site. I used the Beersmith free trial version for awhile and loved it. I plan on buying it ASAP but in the meantime I am stuck using this (relatively) limited calculator. Any suggestions?

Is there a better free calculator out there?

Thanks!

The main thing that changes with late vs. early additions is your hops utilization. It's not completely 100% accurate, but unless you are doing very large late hops additions, you should be OK doing something like this:

First step is finding the IBUs. All you need to do is set up the recipe as if you were brewing it with a late extract addition, but forgot to add it at the end of the boil. So, your boil gravity will reflect what is your normal boil gravity up until that late addition, and your IBU calculation, in particular the majority of the bittering that you get from the 60 minute hops addition, should be largely correct.

Then to get your actual gravity going into the fermenter, just add the late extract addition to the previous step, and that gravity should be the correct one.

That's a great idea. I knew there must be a work around. Sometimes I need an extra brain to help me see it! Cheers!

Hi Everyone

I am a partial grain extract brewer who can barely afford ingredients for a batch of beer, let alone beer brewing software! I have been playing around with a recipe using the free MyBeertools online at beertools.com. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to factor in late extract additions when calculating a recipe with this site. I used the Beersmith free trial version for awhile and loved it. I plan on buying it ASAP but in the meantime I am stuck using this (relatively) limited calculator. Any suggestions?

Is there a better free calculator out there?

Thanks!

You can try B-A at http://www.brewers-assistant.com. It's a completely free web site, no-trials, no-limits, with a full featured recipe designer. Note that, at this time, for the late extract to be recognized you'd need to have your extract added more than 30 minutes after the hop. So for example in the picture below Whitbread Goldings would have higher utilization relative to the 3 extract additions below (since they are all more than 30 minutes from the hop addition), but the LME Amber would be included against hop util. for whitbread because it was added up to 30 minutes after the hop.

P.S. Note that we don't support browsers older than IE8, but for the best UI experience I wholeheartedly suggest Chrome or at the very least FF. (although IE9 will work as well, although a bit slower).

lateextract.png

I'm doing a bunch of research on partial mash brewing, with the hopes of evolving out of extract brewing into partial mash. I was looking at recipes on beertools.com and this is probably a dumb question but I was wondering, is the batch size the same as the amount of water that I should have in my pot when the grains/extract is added? Like if I'm aiming for a 5 gal batch does that mean I need 5 (or more due to some boiling off) in the pot off the bat or can I do it like an extract recipe kit where the boil is at about 3 gal and I add 2 gal of water to the fermenter?

Back