Bad taste, just after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
Now there has been a few of this threads, with most people trying to guess the problem with now good result. I find myself lost? What is that taste some of us are getting? (I would explain it as rubber) and it has nothing to do with anything before bottling (because at bottling it tastes frikin awesome)(sMasH, decocted, ale with S-04) but just a day in the bottle and it gets that rubber taste and still there in a 3 week old PET bottled batch (not that much ). Now I know ITS GREEN!! But to developed such a strong flavor in one day???? And no, it was not aerated, and it’s also not the sanitizer, nor the sun, ...ext.

I am not happy with "its green" because of the awesome taste at bottling, although there are still the phases that the yeast needs to go through after giving them new fermentable's, Could it be that?

Does anybody know?

I am not happy with "its green" because of the awesome taste at bottling, although there are still the phases that the yeast needs to go through after giving them new fermentable's, Could it be that?

Looks like we have a winner here!

Seriously, as soon as fermentation starts up, even at the small scale involved in bottle conditioning, those yeast start making funky compounds that are just not going to taste good. They don't need a ton of time to ferment out and produce CO2 for you, but they DO need conditioning time to clean up those funky-tasting compounds.

Give it at least 2 weeks before you try to judge anything - preferably 3 or more.

Does the rubber taste ever go away ? I introduced a friend to home brewing and helped him bottle his first couple of batches. All tasted fine at bottling (altough a bit hot, because he didn't understand how important fermentation temps were back then) but all of his beers developped a rubber/burnt chemical character while in the bottle. He also got overcarbonation. The longer the beer sat, the harsher the medicinal flavours got.

I forced him to change every plastic item that touched the beer post fermentation (bucket, tubing, siphon, bottling wand) and it went away. Wild yeast probably had gotten into his stuff, causing the off taste.

I don't really buy that the rubber taste is produced by the yeast during bottle refermentation. I have tasted very young beer out of the primary and bottling line multiple times, and never got rubber/medicinal from the samples.

Medicinal,band aid,rubber off flavor is mainly from chlorine/chloromine getting in somehow. It can be in the background of green beer when bottled,but not noticed that much. Then,when the beer is carbonated,that flavor/aroma is brought out as well. Even so much as putting a lid on the BK during the boil can allow some things we want to boil off condense on the inside of the lid,dripping back into solution.

Back