Chocolate Chipotle Stout: How Much Chipotle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Chocolate Chipotle Stout using Austin Homebrew's Double Chocolate Stout as the base of the beer.

What I'm trying to decide is how to add the chipotle peppers. My original idea was to just get a couple peppers, chop them up and thrown them in the secondary. But then I got the idea to use chipotle powder.

So, brewers of HBT. Would you go whole peppers or powder? And if powder, how much would you use and when would you add it?

Well you can go a couple routes if you want to add to the end of the boil, in the secondary or bottling bucket.

End of boil throw no more than 2 chopped up chipotle's

Secondary- Add no more than 2 cut up chipotle's

Bottling Bucket- Chop up about 2-4 chipotle peppers and soak in enough vodka to cover it all for 2 weeks. Add vodka to taste in the bottling bucket. I like this method the best, you can control the test the most.

I will post my Maple Chipotle ale (a deep golden ale, not dark at all) recipe as soon as I've not been sampling it...

I used 1 oz (of kind of old) chipotles in the secondary (ok, tertiary, but I think I will do both the maple and the chipotle in the secondary next time). I coarse chopped them, pan roasted them, and threw them in. The only downside was some chipotle debris got into the bottling bucket and kept clogging the bottle filler.

Now, this beer had a burn. As a hot food enthusiast, I enjoy it. If my husband wasn't already married to me, I think he would have proposed. It may be too much for some people as far as spiciness. However, I was NOT offended by the strong smoky flavor of the beer at all (and I'm one to get easily annoyed at overpowering flavors).

Anyway, hope there's something valuable you can glean from this.

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to get the smoky flavor of the chipotles without too much burn. I'll just have to experiment.

If you're going for smoked flavor, focus on the outside of the fruit. The seeds and the inner veins are where the heat will come from, while the outside provides most of the flavor. Are you using dried, roasted/smoked, or fresh peppers?

If you're going for smoked flavor, focus on the outside of the fruit. The seeds and the inner veins are where the heat will come from, while the outside provides most of the flavor. Are you using dried, roasted/smoked, or fresh peppers?

Haven't decided yet. I was actually thinking about using chipotle powered in the boil, but I wasn't sure how much.

I will post my Maple Chipotle ale (a deep golden ale, not dark at all) recipe as soon as I've not been sampling it...

I used 1 oz (of kind of old) chipotles in the secondary (ok, tertiary, but I think I will do both the maple and the chipotle in the secondary next time). I coarse chopped them, pan roasted them, and threw them in. The only downside was some chipotle debris got into the bottling bucket and kept clogging the bottle filler.

Now, this beer had a burn. As a hot food enthusiast, I enjoy it. If my husband wasn't already married to me, I think he would have proposed. It may be too much for some people as far as spiciness. However, I was NOT offended by the strong smoky flavor of the beer at all (and I'm one to get easily annoyed at overpowering flavors).

Anyway, hope there's something valuable you can glean from this.

Recipe please? :)

Im looking at adding 3 chipotles to the secondary of my chocolate stout. Does anyone have feedback of how two peppers did flavor wise? The plan is to steam the dried peppers for sanitation then adding them to the secondary for a week. Any feedback s appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back