Hi all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
:cross:

Well, I brewed an extract batch about a month ago. I just brewed my first AG oatmeal stout this past weekend. Got a low extraction, but I kind of figured I would ( I had a second hand grinder that just didn't work how I thought it might, but it was only a few bucks, so the Cuisinart was the only thing that half way worked...well I asked for it by putting myself into that situation, but hey live and learn lol). So needless to say, the maltmill is on order, lol. Looking forward to chatting here. I am into so many things, it was only a matter of time till I hit homebrew. I also just bottled some cider that I fermented this fall. I am a tremendous diy-selfer, but unfortunately don't have the time right now (nor the facilities) to build things like malt mills hehe, so I had to bite the bullet. This is fun stuff. I am an avid gardener, so hops will be ordered this spring. I would grow the grain too, but malting it and cleaning it are just not cost effective enough, and on a small scale not worth it imo (although you never know, I might just try it for the fun of it...maybe enough to do a 5 gallon batch or something). Needless to say, I am really into this.

Wow, you sound pretty hard-core (growing hops and wheat). I've yet to go all grain--decided to go the kegging route first.

There are a lot of friendly and helpful people on this board, some who like to get together for brew sessions and the occasional drink, where are you from?

I am located in the heart of Pennsylvania. (Centre County). I tend to do just about everything I can by myself. Not sure why, I guess I just like to have control over the processes. Trying to get to the point where I grow and raise most of my own food. The garden is about 5,000 sq. ft. (fenced in but not completely planted...yet) and I can easily expand to meet my needs. The one thing I have found is the fresher and less processed the ingredients are, the better (imho). Hence the reason why I looked into growing the grains and all that jazz (and the reason I jumped right into AG). The problem is finding a method of cleaning any roots or endosperm from the germinated malt, which would require equipment (most likely homemade). Well maybe one of these days when I get the time...hehe. Anyways thanks again for the welcomes! :mug:

[edit] sorry I said endosperm, when it should be acrospire [/edit]

Latest posts

Back