Hey Norwegians...what can you tell me about vørterøl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beowulf

Reaction score
I'm looking to use some vørterøl for making verterkake. I have been to Norway and have had vørterøl, but don't know much about the recipe that breweries such as Hansa and Aass use.

So, would I start with a regular beer recipe such as for a porter or a brown ale and just set aside some boiled, hopped wort (or is vørterøl unhopped)? I forget...is it carbonated? I think for verterkake it probably won't matter if it's carbonated but I'm just curious if it's normally carbonated.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...takk for hjelpen!!

Thanks, flars. I figured it probably was just from a drinkability perspective. I also think it is hopped, which would help with shelf life I would imagine. Now to figure out what sort of base recipe to start with. At least I don't have to decide which yeast to use! :)

You mention base recipe. As an after thought, and you probably already know this, but besides the malt flavor it would have a distinctive ginger flavor. Ringnes is the largest brewer of the flavored drink.

Some are carbonated more than others and the ones I used to drink had zero hop flavor. My dad used to make it when I was a kid and my mom would then make verterkake. Going to my place in Norway in 6 weeks and will pick some up. I'll try to call some friends in Norway tomorrow and see if they can find out some more specifics..

Thanks, norsk. I'll also put a word out to my pals in Norway and Sweden (do they have vørterøl in Sweden too?). I have a couple of homebrewer friends in Sweden so maybe they know more about the recipe.

I'd be interested in your feedback once you've tried some fresh.

for hvetebrød or hvetekake, all you need is a solution of malt extract and boiled water. This is the "vørter". Vørterøl is like malt beer - but totally non alcoholic. Basically it's a soft drink made from maltose, hops, and carbonated water.

Latest posts

Back