hojolo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hojolo

Reaction score
Greetings from Michigan. I have been home brewing off and on for several years and just recently began again. I hope to pick up some usefull info. from some of you more experienced brewers. I am wondering about the best way to improve the clearness and reduce chill haze in home brews. What type of product and when to introduce it to the wort. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome aboard!

A lot of people use Irish Moss, which is added with about 0-15 minutes left in the boil. You can get it at your homebrew supply store. Also, some people use Whirfloc tablets, which I believe are a derivative of Irish Moss.

I have used Irish moss, and thought it improved clarity. I have some whirfloc, and plan on using it in my next brew that I am shooting for clarity with.

Sorry for the delay.....you add it to the boil. Some Burton's Water Salts contain it already. Brewmaster Select brand name does.

FYI

whirflock works alot better at 5 minutes than at 15 minutes to the end of the boil.

I have used knox gelatin in the secondary for my past couple of batches.
Really works! Cleared a cloudy batch right up in 24 hrs. with NO chill haze.

There's allways room for jello......

When you add the Knox gelatin do you hydrate or just sprinkle it on the top. Do you whirl the secondary gently to make sure it mixes with the beer. I assume you do it a day or two before bottling. Thanks for any response.

Be careful when using gelatin to fine a full bodied beer - it can strip some desired flavor components.

Read this thread for an entirely TOO in-depth discussion of the pros and cons of Irish Moss and Whirlfloc. Oh yeah, and don't be a vegan.

Back