Black Ale Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMushroom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions for how much corn sugar I should use for a 5 gallon batch of black ale that's due to be bottled tomorrow?

The normal calculator I use doesn't list that particular style. Beer will be approx 64/65 degrees at bottling. What's the suggested volume of CO2 for this style?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well, I would carb it to ~ the same as a pale ale. 2.4 volumes would probably be nice (for me). A 5 gal batch at 65 degrees would need 4oz of corn sugar or 5.6oz DME.

Well, I would carb it to ~ the same as a pale ale. 2.4 volumes would probably be nice (for me). A 5 gal batch at 65 degrees would need 4oz of corn sugar or 5.6oz DME.

Thanks for the advice. The Brit in me will make me knock the fizz back a bit, so I'll probably go with 3.5oz of corn sugar unless someone chimes in thinking that would be a bit too flat.

I've seen that tool, but as a beginner I'm still guessing as to how much carbonation I personally want! Furthermore, black ale isn't on the list of that calculator, as I mentioned in my OP.

Back